Battery drain ruining batteries

Seems like the Cactus V6 units randomly drain the battery power when the units are switched off. Not always, but sometimes. Pity, as I now have two sets of ruined Eneloops.

Would be nice to get a statement from Cactus regarding this issue, maybe beyond the "your unit must be faulty please send it back" type of comment.

Nice triggers, sometimes a bit of a pain to get set up and working properly, but this battery drain issue is not nice. I think after losing two sets of Eneloops I will now hopefully remember to remove them in future when I do use the Cactus triggers...

Comments

• Yeah, it is a bummer that the V6 drains the batteries, even when switched off.

It is only a small amount, but enough to warrant opening the battery compartment when not using the units.

I don't think your units are faulty. Mine do it as well and Cactus have confirmed somewhere that this is normal.

Hopefully, a future model will feature a hard "OFF" switch, just like the one featured on the RF60.

P.S.: I never lost Eneloops to the V6 draining issue. Yours must have been almost depleted and then left in the V6 for a long time to receive actual damage.
  • edited July 2015 PM
    Perhaps one of your units is indeed defective and draws an extraordinary amount of current, even when switched off?

If you have a digital ampere-meter, perhaps you can measure all your V6 units -- just replace the function of the battery door with your ampere-meter -- and see whether they differ in the "OFF"-current they are drawing.

The normal amount should probably not kill any Eneloops, but if you have a defective unit, it may be an explanation.

Not that I'm happy with the normal amount of current being drawn -- it really should be 0A -- but perhaps a defect would explain your experience.
  • Yes please remove them, as we did mentioned:

"Switch off the transceiver and remove  batteries during storage."

Thanks for your understanding but to let you know R&D already knows about this and we will continuously improve our products for a better user experience.
    Cactus V6 Cautions and Warnings.PNG
    676 x 804 - 48K
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "v.103".

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A01 and A02 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Cactus RF60 is now an off-camera TTL flash with firmware version 205 or later!

Metz M400 (for Fujifilm) is now supported on the Cactus V6 II (HSS and TTL).

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Thanks.

Class A - Eneloop battery technology doesn't like being totally drained flat. 
  • I also have recently "killed" 8 Eneloop batteries leaving them in my V6 triggers with the power turned off!! Too bad I didn't read this first!!!