Latest firmware update (July 2015) crazy problems on Nikon

Hi, I love the v6 triggers despite their few problems, but after updating to the latest firmware (July 2015 firmware update), my triggers have been unbearable to use. 

This is what happens: let's say I turn group A on, some times it the button for group A will turn itself OFF yet the flash keeps firing. Then, if you press the button for group A to light it back up, the flash will actually turn off. When using more than one group at once, for example, if group A is lit up, and I light up group B, turning B on will turn A off, yet either both will fire, or neither will fire. I can't keep more than one light on at once without the groups shutting off on their own, then not firing when they are turned back on, but firing when they are showing that they are off. 

This problem was never present in the previous firmware. I have six v6
s and all of them are doing it. 

Comments

• edited August 2015 PM
    Uh, that doesn't sound good... :(

Do you realise that you can easily downgrade to any of the older firmware versions available?

After your V6 has connected to the Firmware Updater, simply use "select" to choose one of the older versions that still worked well for you.

P.S.: I'm a Pentax user and hence did not upgrade to the latest version yet, so I haven't seen any problems. I'm sure Cactus will soon come up with a fix for the issues you have encountered.
  • I do, I am absolutely going to downgrade the firmware before my next wedding. 

I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. I thought I was crazy and that it might have been just one of my units acting weird, but it tested all six of them and they were all doing it. 

I would advise against updating to the most recent firmware. Same thing happened when I mounted them on a friend's Canon 5d3. 

I hope cactus finds the problem! I'm surprised it was even released. It doesn't take long at all to notice the issue, it happens almost immediately.
  • @Marekkphotography

I hope cactus finds the problem!

Yes!  We just did. Thanks so much for letting us know. Our R&D is fixing the problem as I type.

Thank you for your understanding during this time. We will have an updated firmware asap.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager
  • Thanks so much, for now I'm going to downgrade firmware. I still love the triggers despite the few quirks, and other photographers that have seen me using them have purchased them as well :]
  • @Marekkphotography Don't mention it!  We appreciate a lot your feedback, not to mention your recommendation to fellow photographers.  Thank you!

On that note we have released the new firmware (1.1.016) which fixed the problem you encountered.

Launch the Updater program, connect your V6 and click "Check for Latest Firmware".

Thank you and let us know if it works for you as well!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager
  • Thanks again! You guys are great! I have one more question, have V6 triggers with upgraded hotshoes already shipped, and if so where can we get them from (and know that we are getting newer versions)? I think It would be more economical for now to buy two new triggers than to ship my 6 existing ones out to have hotshoe replacement, that way I'd have at least two that I can use as TX's. 
  • At the moment, the new hot shoe version is available by request only.  

FYI the next production batch will have them, so in the meantime we can only replace our existing stock with new ones.

You can purchase V6 with new version hot shoe at the Cactus Store. Just leave a note saying you need the new hot shoe at check out and we will get it done for you. :)

Thank you!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager
  • New hot shoe version?

Antonio said:

At the moment, the new hot shoe version is available by request only.  

FYI the next production batch will have them, so in the meantime we can only replace our existing stock with new ones.

You can purchase V6 with new version hot shoe at the Cactus Store. Just leave a note saying you need the new hot shoe at check out and we will get it done for you. :)

Thank you!

• @Orangish what about it?

The new hot shoe has been installed on a small number of our V6 stock so if you want to buy new units they are avaialble upon request via Cactus Store.

If you have existing ones you wish to have it replaced with the new one, send it back to us and we will do the rest.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager
  • @Antonio - I'm just confused by this thread - what is the new hotshoe? How do I tell if I already have it?
  • @Orangish it's for people who has the Nikon D750, it has a slighly different hot shoe so we had to modifiy our existing ones in order to make it work.  If you are not using a D750, or the X-T1 where some reported a problem as well, then you've nothing to worry about. :)

See this thread:
    http://www.cactus-image.com/community/discussion/470/help-with-v6-and-nikon-d750-sb-400-sb-800/p1
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager
  • @Antonio - I'm using an XT-1, and the triggers have been flaky.

• @Orangish so you are experiencing TTL pass through problem as well?  If you are then feel free to send it back and we will sorted it out for you.  See the aforementioned post for return info. Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager
  • @Antonio - I have been. A lot of jiggling is required to make it work right. Thank you!
  • @Antonio - I have been using a D610 and just got a D750 which is having the TTL pass though issue as well. I see some people have been sending in there V6s and getting replacements, would I be able to do the same? If so, how would I be able to go about doing so? I have 4 units all purchased from Midwest Photo Exchange.

Thanks
    Mike
  • @Daybreak

Of course, Mike.  Send your V6 units back and we will install the new hot shoe to work with your D750.  Please send only the transceivers back without original packaging material in a bubble jiffy bag.

Congrats on upgrading to the D750, BTW :)

Thank you!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager
  • edited September 2015 PM
    Hi again Antonio, I haven't had a long enough break between weddings and events to send in my six V6 units for hotshoe replacement. I'm considering just ordering two new ones for now instead (one for each camera body). I'm in the United states (virginia). Do you think there is any way I could get two units in by this upcoming saturday? Would I need to use the fedex priority method? I'm not sure where they'd be shipping from, but I'm assuming the factory. 

I've actually been having worse problems with the top hotshoe than the bottom, with the locking pin on flashes not lining up with the v6, and sliding off constantly. Every time I turn the flash head, everything gets out of alignment and nothing fires :[

• Hello @Marekkphotography

We can custom assemble two units for you with the new hot shoe. Our office / workshop is in Hong Kong and shipping by FedEx takes 2-3 days.

Place an order at our online store: http://store.cactus-image.com/cactus-v6-wireless-flash-transceiver/
    At checkout, leave a note saying it's for your Nikon D750.

Another option is, if you can afford to shoot with one less unit, send us only one (1) of your V6 back. After you get it back you can label this unit as the TX unit and always use it when you need an on-camera fill flash.

As for your alignment observations, If you are adjusting the on-camera flash, I suspect the it's not the top hot shoe but the bottom one that's in contact with your camera.  You can cross check this by using the exact flash + transeivers in Receiver mode. See if you can adjust its power remotely from another V6. If it does, then all the hot shoe pins are lined up correctly with the flash.

Despite NIkon speedlight hot shoe plates are slimmer than most other manufacturers, once they are locked on the transceivers with the locking pin, the hot shoe contacts should be touching all the time.  I have even tried mounting a Nikon speedlight on a Nikon camera and the fit is loose as well, but doesn't affect TTL metering, etc.

Please let us know how we may assist further. Thank you!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager
  • Hi, I love the v6 triggers despite their few problems, but after updating to the latest firmware (July 2015 firmware update), my triggers have been unbearable to use. 

This is what happens: let's say I turn group A on, some times it the button for group A will turn itself OFF yet the flash keeps firing. Then, if you press the button for group A to light it back up, the flash will actually turn off. When using more than one group at once, for example, if group A is lit up, and I light up group B, turning B on will turn A off, yet either both will fire, or neither will fire. I can't keep more than one light on at once without the groups shutting off on their own, then not firing when they are turned back on, but firing when they are showing that they are off. 

This problem was never present in the previous firmware. I have six v6

s and all of them are doing it. 
    I just had an event this weekend and tried to use my updated v6's with new hotshoes to fire an SB_910 on the hotshoe w/TTL pass-through with two Cactus flashes ... one on A and the other on B.  .... not good results.... would fire sometimes.... not others... then would start strobing.... then work.... I think the hotshoe issue on the D750 or whatever is going on is not good.  ... and I'm on the latest firmware on the v6's and flashes.  

... thankfully, I have a couple of Quantum Qflashes that I was able to fall back on in the emergency, but I'm now very hesitant to use these professionally again.... though I really want to badly.  

Any ideas?  suggestions?  I'm willing to test them, but so far I've only had success on my Olympus using them for lighter duty portrait work ... don't think they are ready for prime time run and gun wedding type events.  

Please help if you can.  Thanks!
  • @JBoot, I am sorry to hear about this.

You may try to tighten up the lock on the V6
    to prevent it from rotating within the hot shoe of the D750 as you adjust the flash head. The reason is one of the D750 hot shoe contact pins was placed just a little off, therefore even the smallest movement of the V6 may disconnects that particular pin contact with the camera.

We could increase the width of the V6 bottom hot shoe to stop it from moving. However due to the design of the V6 to fit on multiple camera systems, we cannot change the size of the plate footprint much otherwise it is impossible to mount the V6 on certain cameras.

You could also DIY some sort of lateral support on the sides of the D750 hot shoe so when you mount the V6, it pretty much stays in the centre even when you adjust the flash head, etc.

That's all we could think of for now. Thank you for your understanding and do keep in mind that the deficiency lies not on the V6 but the special case with the D750. So it's not a case between light and heavy duty portrait work, nor mediocre and professional, it is simply that the D750 may have a standard ISO hot shoe, but their contact pin placements is just different from most if not all of NIkon DSLR predecessors.

That said Cactus will continue to do all that we could to assist D750 users whilst keeping the V6 as a generic, brand agnostic wireless flash trigger. As always, your patience and love is very much appreciated!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager
  • edited October 2015 PM
    I have actually been ok in terms of the V6 connection to the D750 hotshoe for a while. It's certainly not perfect but if you wiggle it until you feel the lock pin go in the hole and then tighten, it's stays on most of the time. I've also wedged some tape in the hotshoe to make it tighter. 

My main problem right now is the top hotshoe on the v6. 

I started off using only Nikon SB-700s but recently purchased two GODOX v860n units. The lock pin on them is not as long as on the nikon units, however they lock with no problem to my D750 hotshoe. They will not lock to the V6's hotshoe though, no matter what I do or try, and they slide off constantly. I have to push them back on every few minutes, or every time I move the flash head. Strangely enough, if you stack the V6 units I have, they will not lock to each other either. 

I did some measurements with a caliper and I cannot for the life of me figure out where the problem is. 

I still love the units and respect the work that cactus has put into designing them. I just need to figure out how to make them work more reliably

• edited October 2015 PM
    Hello @Marekkphotography

Good to hear the new hot shoe is working alright for your D750 setup.

As for the Godox V860N, after testing it only with the V6 hot shoe plate, I think the locking pin is a tad short when mounted on the V6. See the pictures below comparing the hot shoe pins on an SB-700 and the V860N. In both cases, the hot shoe lock is on and the locking pins are fully extended.

02c57c3f4a6b7930a4b5513d2cbe2e.jpg

Here's a closer look at a higher angle, the pin does not seem to extend far enough so that it would stay locked on the V6 hot shoe plate:

f65bfa00695ae1b706a0435a1070f5.jpg

If you purchased the two Godox units for off-camera flash use, perhaps
    the Cactus RF60 is the better alternative!  You would....
    • save a V6 for each unit
    • use two less AA batteries each
    • not need to pick a
      flash profile
    • not worry about the locking pin / flash falling off
    • be able to remote zoom control

Just a thought!  :)

Back to your V860N..  there is nothing we could do from V6's point of view, as all manufactures have a slighly different spec, and keeping in mind the V6 is to work on multiple systems, we are unable to make adjustments from our side. Thank you for your understanding.

Nikon SB700 01.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 380K
    Nikon SB700 02.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 418K
    Godox V860N 02.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 388K
    Godox V860N 01.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 381K
    SB-700 vs V860N.jpg
    699 x 1062 - 179K
    Godox V860N pin fully extended.jpg
    973 x 690 - 182K
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager
  • Wow. You guys have the best customer service ever. It's amazing that you went out of your way to investigate the locking problem with the godox. Thanks so much for doing that. 

I figured it was likely a problem with the godox unit rather than the cactus trigger. They're some of the best flashes I've ever use though, using the lithium battery pack the recycle time is better than anything I've ever used. I use them for my two on camera lights because of the high output and instant recycle times. 

I actually tested the godox with my pixel king pro triggers and they won't lock to those either. Thanks again for looking into this!
  • So I took a risk and disassembled the hotshoe on the v860n flashes. Took a dremel to the plastic parts that restrict the pin from coming out further (the pin is actually plenty long, it just doesn't come out enough). After grinding down some parts the locking pin comes up far enough that the flash is locking to the cactus trigger. Wish I had done that sooner. 

If anybody else is using this combination, I'd be happy to share how to do the modification. 
  • @Marekkphotography what I did was necessary and perhaps much more simple than you imagined. On the other hand, you went on an extra mile!

I am glad to hear your DIY tweak works. Thumbs up!!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager