Wishing and hoping.....

edited August 2015 in V6 Compatibility
I"m an old film photographer and have several Vivitar 283 flashes with external battery packs that I used to use on small softboxes for portable lighting. Could the power of those be controlled by the V6?  I can trigger them optically but remote power adjustment would make them much more useful.

• Hi John,

A TTL flash is required in order to do remote power control on the Cactus V6. Therefore, manual portable flash cannot be controlled remotely, it's technically impossible with the single hot shoe pin - no signal

Surely the Vivitar has proven to be a rugged and reliable workhorse but if you want to enjoy convenience of remote power control, you will have to consider getting a TTL flash or the Cactus RF60 Wireless Flash.

The Cactus RF60 has a built-in radio transceiver (just like the Cactus V6) so besides power being controlled remotely you can even remote control the zoom level of the flash, striaght from the V6 set to transmitter. FYI this is something not possible with compatible TTL flash models. Another benefit is you can save from buying extra Cactus V6 Transceivers and subsequently less AA batteries to charge.

In terms of power, the VIvitar 283 has a GN of 36 (ISO100), so you could replace it with TTL flash with similar power, and there are lots to choose from. The RF60 on the other hand has a GN of 56.

Speaking of TTL flash they usually cost more for their brand specific, automatic light output for on-camera use. However in your case, you won't be using the TTL functions per se but only for remote power control. Some may think this would be a waste.  Plus you need to get a V6 unit for each of the off-camera flash units.  So unless you can find used TTL flash units at sub-$100, it may make more sense just getting one V6 as the transmitter and serveral RF60 to complete your kit.

FYI, if you ever need to, you can hook up a light meter to the Cactus V6 (transmitter unit) and have it trigger your off-camera flash units.

I hope the above helps you in finding a solution to your needs!

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager