Learning a new flash profile

edited August 2015 in V6 Questions
Sorry for my bad english. I have a Flash: Metz 64 AF-1 for Olympus. If I try to let the V6 learn the Profile, it doesn't work because the only Systems that are shown in the menue are Canon, Nikon and Pentax.
How can I let the V6 learn the Profile? Or can I use another Profile that is shown under "Olympus"?

• edited August 2015 PM
    Hello Roger,

Olympus is not shown on the list because all their flashes are pure-digital TTL only so they cannot be learned and is not compatible with the V6, unfortunately.

FYI most of these digital-only TTL flash requires a constant signal feed from the camera. This is something the V6 is not meant to do as a manual flash trigger, despite its abilities to control (analogue) TTL flash models.

In the future we plan to support these digital-only flashes but this requires new hardware in order to make it possible.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager
  • Hello Antonio,

thank you for your quick answer.
    In the pre-installed profile-list is the Metz 58 AF-1 for Olympus. Can I use this Profile with the Metz 64 AF-1 and a Olympus OM-D EM 1?
    I also have two other flashes: Metz 52 AF-1 for Nikon and Sigma EF 530 DG ST for Nikon.
    Can I use these two flashes with my new Olympus camera? Therefore I bought 3 cactus V6.

Thank you and greetings

• Only the newer Olympus flashes like the FL-600R are pure-digital, the older FL-36R and FL-50R are not and can control the light output through the V6 -- profiles exist for them in the firmware. I don't know whether the Metz 64 AF-1 is all-digital, but it might be possible to control its light output using the V6 as well.

Profiling should be system-agnostic as long as the flash is a analog TTL flash.
  • Hi Roger,

We haven't tried selecting another Olympus profile for the 64 AF-1. since you have both the flash and V6 just give it a try, it won't harm the neither of the devices.

We haven't tested the Metz 52 AF-1, again since you have the V6 already you can quickly try it by using another Nikon's Metz profile such as the 50 AF-1.

Sigma's 530 DG ST should not be supported because we have only listed the DG Super. You can certainly try and confirm it.

Thank you.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager
  • I just happen to read this thread.  

By coincidence, I also have two Metz 64 AF-1 flashes (love it) and the E-M1.  The Cactus V6 will not work other than as a simple trigger - no ability to control the flash manual output.  

The other profiles already in the Cactus v6 that are Metz don't work - I know...I tried and also have had numerous email exchange with Cactus and they confirmed it would not.

Cactus tells me that a new generation of v6 will be out winter 2015 that will include the Metz 64 AF-1.  Let's hope so.  

I returned my 3 units to B&H and await the new generation with great anticipation.

All the best...
  • Thanks for the message @azjsb
    I hope to bring you good news soon!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager