Metz 58AF 2 power output control

I am trying out a pair of Cactus V6 with a Metz 58 AF 2 (supported)
in TTL mode and a Nikon D200, but, unfortunately, the remote control
over the output doesn`t want to work properly.

I can see how the
receiving V6 changes correctly as I increase or decrease the power on
the transmitter -they seem to communicate-, but then the light output of
the flash does not alter at all, as I can see on both the photos and
the histogram.

Could you please help me out on this one?

Comments

• edited October 2015 PM
    Have you selected the correct flash profile at the receiving V6?

Assuming the Metz is "for Nikon" you need to select the Nikon version of the Metz 58 AF-2 profile.

Also, make sure the flash is set to TTL mode and not i-TTL.

I have the Pentax version of this flash and the V6 can remote control its power.
  • Thanks for commenting!

Yep, the correct flash profile is selected -for Nikon, indeed-, flash in TTL.

I am just running out of options to check!

• edited October 2015 PM
    Try the following order of switching devices on:

1. Flash (set to TTL mode as well).
    2. V6 Receiver (select correct profile again, just to make sure it is loaded).

With Nikon flashes, this ordering is important and it may extent to the Metz as well.

Other than that I can only suggest to swap the V6 units in case one of them has a defect and using a different firmware version (including an older one).

• @BrightLight

Does the V6 RX LED light blinks as you make an adjustment?
    Does the V6 RX LCD shows the changes in power as you adjust from the V6 TX?
    What is the distance between the two V6 units? Keep them at least 10cm apart, if possible over a meter. Also, choose SHORT RANGE mode under the sub-menu.
    You may also try other channels. If you were on Channel 1, try something different, say Channel 13.

Thanks and I hope you will solve the power adjustment issue!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) and not by X-TTL firmware versions: PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet. 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A01 and A02 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Cactus RF60 is now an off-camera TTL flash with firmware version 205 or later!

Metz M400 (for Fujifilm) is now supported on the Cactus V6 II (HSS and TTL).

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.