Can't get TTL to work with Canon 430EXII

I have 3 new V6 transcievers. I have a V6 unit on the hot shoe of my Canon 1DX. I have another 6 feet away with a Canon 430EXII mounted. They both have newly updated firmware V1.1.018 installed. The camera mounted unit is set to TX and  indicating TTL PASS-THROUGH. The remote unit with the flash is set to RX. They are both set to Canon 430EX. After taking about 50 shots, I've set the flash unit to both TTL and manual.  New batteries. Sometimes the flash fires; sometimes not. When it does, sometimes the image is badly overexposed. Sometimes it's underexposed. No continuity. In manual flash mode, it's doing what it's supposed to do. Please tell me what I need to do to get the TTL working well. 

Comments

• HI @kenj,

Thanks for your posting your question.

From reading your post, it seems that you may have misunderstood what the V6 is - a device to transmit wireless TTL signals from the camera to off-camera flash units, which it does not.  

The V6 is a wireless manual flash trigger but it only has the unique ability of remotely adjusting flash power output of a compatible TTL system flash (Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, and Pentax). There are no wireless TTL information being transmitted.

Now for your case...

If you don't have a Canon TTL flash mounted on-camera, with a V6 sandwiched in between the camera and the flash, then you don't really need to enabele "TTL Pass Through". This option is for user who needs an on-camera fill flash, which supports autoamtic TTL exposures.

For your 430EXII mounted on another V6 (RX) with the correct profile selected (which you have), make sure the flash is in TTL mode. That's the only way you can adjust its power output remotely.

I hope the above helps.  Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • I think I did misunderstand. My new understanding is that for my setup as described above, power to a remote flash can only be facilitated using manual flash. I can work with that. Thanks.
  • Cool and thanks for hitting back.

That's right, with the V6 you can manually control the power ouput of your off-camera 430EXII.

Just shout if you need anything else. Thank you!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.