XPro 2 / SB900 / HSS Did work but but now doesn't!

Hi,
Just took delivery of my 2 x Cactus V6 II triggers. Set them up on my Fujifilm XPro and SB-900 and was successfully synching at up to 1/8000. Then it all stopped working and I've no idea why?! I did a factory reset and repeated my steps, but just can't get it to work. Can you give me a line by line guide to what needs to be set on the camera and flash to get this to work again? Great when it does work, but intermittent errors / inconsistency will make it virtually unusable :(

Steve

Comments

• Oh, and also - like some other posters to this forum - I downloaded the firmware updater and it never detects my devices.
  • Hello Steve,

Detecting the Camera Ssystem
    With Fujifilm cameras, they tend to sleep very quickly - even if you just started up the camera. So in order to keep it awake, when you switch on the V6 II to TX mode, half-press the shutter release of your X-Pro2 simultanously, maybe 2-3 half-presses as you switch on the V6 II.

Make sure you have selected AUTO on your V6 II for Camera System. If you manually selected Fujifilm previously, select Auto and the selection applies on the next powering on.

LEARN HSS on the V6 II
    Next, go through the LEARN HSS process. Remember to set your camera's shutter speed above x-sync, such as 1/1000, you may set it higher to 1/4000s or 1/8000s as you like. Then take a shot and it will record the HSS info of your camera.

FYI once I was testing on the X-T1 and battery died on me. Powering on the camera and V6 II again, despite the V6 II says LEARN HSS has been recorded, it just won't sync with HSS. So I had to redo the LEARN HSS procedure.

Turn ON Forced HSS for Fujifilm
    Finally, make sure you actually turn ON the Forced HSS mode for Fujifilm. And you do that by pushing in the rotary dial.  Please take note that you will have to turn ON /OFF as your shutter speed go beyond or below the x-sync speed, otherwise the flash will not sync.

Checklist
    In conclusion, here are the steps to check:
    1. Auto-detect camera: Half-press shutter release
    2. Learn HSS: shoot above x-snyc
    3. Turn ON/OFF Forced HSS for Fujifilm: push in rotary dial
    Thank you and I hope the above is helpful!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Thanks, I can confirm the above works with a Fuji XPro2, V6ii and Cactus RF60 flash
  • I have just brought 2 v6ii from you and was kinda working yesterday, now not at all. I have camera and flash set to auto. Then the option to force hss does not come avliable and the learn flash option does not come avaliable.
    I am trying to do this with your flashes.
    I need some more detailed step by step as I cant see what I am doing wrong.
    Xt1
  • Right I have it working now on xt1, reliable too.

The issue I have is that camera will not auto detect on X-E2 - help?
  • The X-E2 is not compatible with the V6II w.r.t. HSS.

I was going to suggest that Cactus add a respective note to the production description of the V6II, but lo and behold, there already is a note (since July 18, apparently).

• I'm confused.  Based on everything I've read online and in the manual, the Fujifilm X-Pro2 *does* support HSS, and the forced HSS workaround is for Fujifilm cameras other than the X-Pro2. Is this not the case? Will the X-Pro2 not work with the normal HSS setting?

Kurt
  • Hi Kurt, @tr4driver

The X-Pro2 should work with Normal HSS given that the camera is running on "existing" firmware - not the one to work with the upcoming EF-X500 flash.

Make sure your V6 II is set to AUTO, switch it off for the option to take place on the next start-up.

We don't have one to test in our studio, but you suspect any hot shoe connection issues, you may take off the hot shoe metal spring plate before mounting the V6 II on the camera.

Thank you and we look forward to hearing your test results.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Make sure you have selected AUTO on your V6 II for Camera System. If you manually selected Fujifilm previously, select Auto and the selection applies on the next powering on.

"LEARN HSS on the V6 II
    Next, go through the LEARN HSS process. Remember to set your camera's shutter speed above x-sync, such as 1/1000, you may set it higher to 1/4000s or 1/8000s as you like. Then take a shot and it will record the HSS info of your camera.
    In conclusion, here are the steps to check:
    1. Auto-detect camera: Half-press shutter release
    2. Learn HSS: shoot above x-snyc
    3. Turn ON/OFF Forced HSS for Fujifilm: push in rotary dial"

If you select auto detect camera system on the VII then the learn option does not come up as an option, it only becomes an option if you specifically select Fuji as the camera system, not if you select auto detect, so I'd like to know how you are able tocomplete these instructions!!
  • ... it only becomes an option if you specifically select Fuji as the camera system, not if you select auto detect, so I'd like to know how you are able tocomplete these instructions!!
    Exactly for this reason you have to make sure the V6 II is able to detect the camera as Fujifilm.

Because if you manually set it to Fujifilm, but actually the V6 II is not communicating with the camera on all the hot shoe contact pins, there is no point of going to the next step.

So you can view the auto-detect process as a CHECK POINT.

If you manually select the camera system, you could be faking it for your camera. When the hot shoe connection is not complete HSS is not going to work. In other words, you must get the V6 II get a F in the camera icon before proceeding to LEARN HSS and turning on Forced HSS.

Personally I feel it is better to use auto-detect because hot shoe contacts on Fujifilm are so tiny.

Hope this helps!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• edited September 2016
    I've tried for 3 hours to get the V6II to recognize my X-Pro2 no matter how I put the unit on, lose, very tight wiggle it around, nothing allows the auto camera detect to ID the camera as Fuji. It appeared that this product is not as as compatible with the X-Pro2 as hoped. Then upon insertion I noticed that 2 of the pins on the bottom of the V6II were incredibly stiff and almost would not recede. I applied some silicon spray and forced them in an and out until they were as smooth as the others. Now the unit seats properly and the set up was easy and worked well. I wish I discovered the pins were not made well sooner as the top of my new X-Pro-2 has scratches on the black painted hot shoe which is not appreaciated at all.
  • edited September 2016
    ...my new X-Pro-2 has scratches on the black painted hot shoe which is not appreaciated at all.
    You did not remove the metal spring plate as I have suggested in earlier reply?

It will help with getting a better hot shoe connection too.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• edited September 2016
    remove the metal plate from the camera?
  • edited September 2016
    remove the metal plate from the camera?
    No, just a small "spring" element.

There is a video for how to remove it for another camera, but the spring is very similar on many cameras. It is a reversible process, so you are not breaking anything.
  • Right I have it working now on xt1, reliable too.
    How Did you solve the problems with the xt1? 

With my xt1 the Cactus V6 II is not able to detect the camera brand 'Fujifilm'. Thus there is no communication between the camera and the V6 II. I have tried for at least 2 hours yesterday (newest firmware) only to scratch my hot shoe with the Cactus contact pins :-(

The old V6 and the RF60 work like a dream, but I am really missing HSS support... Thus, I purchased the V6 II, but currently it seems I have to send it back to the seller.

• No, just a small "spring" element. 
    There is a video for how to remove it for another camera, but the spring is very similar on many cameras. It is a reversible process, so you are not breaking anything.
    I don't see how I could easily remove it from the xt1 because you almost no access from the front of the camera...

In my opinion, the receiver should be designed to get in contact with every camera hot shoe without modifying the camera. 

The strange thing is that there are a lot of people where the combination xt1 + V6 II seems to work. For some x-pro2 owners it works great, some have severe problems with reliability. Is it just a question of manufacturing tolerances?! 

For the first time, I am really annoyed with a cactus product. Having HSS with the RF60 would be really great...
  • No, just a small "spring" element. 
    I don't see how I could easily remove it from the xt1 because you almost no access from the front of the camera...

In my opinion, the receiver should be designed to get in contact with every camera hot shoe without modifying the camera. 

The strange thing is that there are a lot of people where the combination xt1 + V6 II seems to work. For some x-pro2 owners it works great, some have severe problems with reliability. Is it just a question of manufacturing tolerances?! 

For the first time, I am really annoyed with a cactus product. Having HSS with the RF60 would be really great...
    Frank, I have the same problem with both XT1 & XPRO2 forced HSS does NOT work on either camera. It works fine when the forced mode is switched OFF. The V6 mkii works fine without HSS and fires fine (which is pointless for me as I have the mki) It recognises the XPRO2 but does not recognise the XT1 either way it just will not fire the RF60 in forced HSS mode whatever I try and both items have the latest firmware. I`d say its definitely an issue with the transmitter mkii not our camera and I certainly wouldnt be pulling an expensive camera apart to move a spring! 
  • @Geordieboy77

You seem to be having a different problem as you cannot get the test button on the V6II to work.

With respect to "pulling an expensive camera apart to move a spring" you are exaggerating quite a bit. There is no need to take the camera apart. The suggestion was just to remove an (inexpensive) piece of metal from the camera's hot-shoe. If it does not help or interferes with the usage of other flash equipment, it is very easy to put the piece of metal back into place.

I honestly cannot say whether the Fuji issues stem from Cactus manufacturing tolerances or from Fuji manufacturing tolerances. I certainly know that camera manufacturers sometimes appear to prioritise accessory sales over customer needs, see the D750 hot-shoe debacle, for instance. So I wouldn't be too quick to point to third-party manufacturers like Cactus or Phottix, etc. even though the issues manifest themselves when using their products.

In my experience Cactus have been very good at trying to resolve issues with their customers, for instance they provided a free exchange of V6 triggers with D750-specific versions, so with a bit of patience and cooperation I think you and others should be able to resolve the problems with Cactus.

• @Geordieboy77

You seem to be having a different problem as you cannot get the test button on the V6II to work.

With respect to "pulling an expensive camera apart to move a spring" you are exaggerating quite a bit. There is no need to take the camera apart. The suggestion was just to remove an (inexpensive) piece of metal from the camera's hot-shoe. If it does not help or interferes with the usage of other flash equipment, it is very easy to put the piece of metal back into place.

I honestly cannot say whether the Fuji issues stem from Cactus manufacturing tolerances or from Fuji manufacturing tolerances. I certainly know that camera manufacturers sometimes appear to prioritise accessory sales over customer needs, see the D750 hot-shoe debacle, for instance. So I wouldn't be too quick to point to third-party manufacturers like Cactus or Phottix, etc. even though the issues manifest themselves when using their products.

In my experience Cactus have been very good at trying to resolve issues with their customers, for instance they provided a free exchange of V6 triggers with D750-specific versions, so with a bit of patience and cooperation I think you and others should be able to resolve the problems with Cactus.

Yet by suggesting to removing an "inexpensive piece of metal" from the camera`s body I am therefore potentially putting my camera in a state of invalidating the warranty should anything else go wrong during the process and that is totally fine? So if I damage the camera in any way which invalidates the warranty, you are willing to pay for its repair?  have you removed this piece of inexpensive metal from a Fujicamera?As for the test button on the transmitter  I dont see where I mentioned that in this post, I replied to FrankX expressing the same issues he has experienced and you`ve picked up my comments from another thread. Whilst I believe at speaking to Cactus is the best way to try and resolve matters I`m unfortunately seeing a multitude of issues crop up with the v6 mkii and RF60 incorrectly working on Fuji X series cameras which is all to evident in this "community" 

Regards
    Craig 
  • edited September 2016
    Hi Craig,

I don't think that by temporarily removing the piece of metal you are invalidating the camera's warranty. Perhaps you do, I don't know. I certainly won't pay for your potential repair bills. It was just a suggestion and it is your good right to insist that the trigger should work without such measures. 

Regarding the test button issue you are having: It does not matter in which thread you mentioned it, does it? Fact is, you seem to be having a fundamental issue that may involve a hardware defect and therefore one should be cautious in assuming that you and other people are dealing with the same cause for an issue they are having.

EDIT: Apparently Antonio experienced the same problem with the test button once so it is unlikely that there is a hardware problem. Still, without such a basic test working, I wouldn't expect the triggers to accomplish more complicated matters. Hence, I think it would be a good idea to get the test button working first.
  • ... It recognises the XPRO2 but does not recognise the XT1 either way it just will not fire the RF60 in forced HSS mode whatever I try and both items have the latest firmware.

Recognizing the camera as Fujifilm is a must before you do anything else.

V6 II is different than the V6.
    1. V6 It runs analogue and uses the centre hot shoe contact only for flash triggering.
    2. V6 II runs digital so it needs to stay in touch with all the camera hot shoe contacts !
    So with the original V6. you won't notice any hot shoe connection issues - unless you use TTL Pass Through for an on-camera flash.

Due to the small contacts on Fujifilm camera it appears that by removing the metal spring plate helps the V6 II connect with the camera.
    As for removing the spring plate on the Fuji, it is indeed a little different than Olympus. You should find a gap from the other side. I did a quick demo with video so you may refer to it.

If it still does not work after removing the spring plate and that it is securely mounted (and fully inserted) if the same transceiver worked with the X-Pro2, then it rules out possible hardware issue.

Thank you for your understanding during this time and I will post the video within the next hour.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Here's the video, just a quick demo (20 seconds).

As you can see our spring plate has been bashed with rigorous testings. So it may be a little easier to tick upward with the plastic toothpick than a brand new unit.

Fujifilm's hot shoe is almost entirely painted in black, which as beautiful as it is to look at, with use over time it will peel off, somewhat, at least. 

Lately a few Leica users inquired about compatibiltiy with the V6 II. I wonder if they care about scratches too... :(
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Here's the video, just a quick demo (20 seconds).

As you can see our spring plate has been bashed with rigorous testings. So it may be a little easier to tick upward with the plastic toothpick than a brand new unit.

Fujifilm's hot shoe is almost entirely painted in black, which as beautiful as it is to look at, with use over time it will peel off, somewhat, at least. 

Lately a few Leica users inquired about compatibiltiy with the V6 II. I wonder if they care about scratches too... :(
    Hi Antonio thank you for submitting the short video regarding the spring clip on the XT1, I still do not agree that this should be an effective solution to what is potentially a design problem with the transmitter? I`m resigned to trying this out even though the existing issue remains even when tested on my XPRO2 the transmitter identified the camera but failed to fire in HSS mode. I really cant see by removing the spring clip on the XT1 that this will make any difference at all but I will try under duress 

Kind regards