cactus V6 ll doesnt work in HSS

edited August 2016 in V6 II Problems
I´ve tried the V6 ll at my fujifilm X-PRO2 (which was the reason I bought them) and Canon EOS 5D Mark lll in HSS but the flash doesn´t fire.

I´ve downloaded the latest firmware. I´ve learn the X-PRO2 HSS. Setup the V6 at "Normal HSS" at "TX". The "TX" is set with Fujifilm camera and canon flash. The Reciver has detected the flash (Canon 430EX ll). The flash is set to "HSS".

When I do a flash test from "TX" the flash fires. When I press down the shutter it doesn´t. Sometimes is has but the pictures are black.

If I don´t have it on "Forced HSS on" but "Forced HSS off" the flash will fire with x-sync. I´m about o give up. I think I´ve done everthing right. Can you please help me with some tip so I can use my V6 ii to my Fujifilm X-PRO2 in HSS-mode.

Comments

• Petada,

I'm sort of in the same boat.  I had assumed, based on everything I read, that the V6 II would work provide HSS with the X-Pro2.  The user's manual seems to indicate this is the case, and states that you must use forced HSS for cameras other than the X-Pro2 (which would indicate to me that the normal HSS would work with the X-Pro2).  Based on my experience, this is not the case, and forced HSS mode must be used with the X-Pro2 as well.  This is a little disappointing, since this is the only reason I bought them as well, for the HSS.  Forced HSS works (sort of), but you have to remember to turn it on and off based on your shutter speed.

Well, when I say it sort of works, I mean it works when the unit mounted to my X-Pro2 actually recognizes my X-Pro2, which is less than 10% of the time.  It usually takes be 15-20 minutes of fiddling with the camera and the V6 II to get the V6 II to auto recognize the camera, and even when it does, most of the time the unit blocks the shutter from releasing.  I'm not sure what's going on with it, but really wish I could get it sorted out.  I was really excited about these triggers, and wanted them to work.  For the price, I would think that they would.  So far, however, I have spent over 4 hours total messing with them and have actually had them working for maybe 10 minutes total of that time.  If I can't get them sorted out by the end of the day, I'll be sending them back for a refund.

Kurt

• Similar for me on both the X-T1 and X-PRO2 (I thought the X-PRO2 would be easier). Followed the instruction to set up forced HSS e.g. setting the shutter to 1/1000sec and then firing it within the 30-sec countdown on the Cactus. But when I press the rear dial to turn on HSS on the Cactus I get a message stating the Fuji does not support HSS. Tried to set up forced HSS again but the Cactus LCD indicates it is already recorded.

• It does not appear that they are as compatible with Fujifilm cameras as they are advertised to be.  I have a pair of Yongnuo triggers for my Nikon system that support full TTL and cost less than half the price of the V6 II units.  They work flawlessly every time with no complicated setup or tinkering.  They even work on my X-Pro2 with a Nikon SB-700 in full manual - just no HSS.  I bought the Cactus units for the HSS.  Not only does that not work, but the units don't seem to work with my X-Pro2 on a consistent basis at all.

Kurt

• Some people (leoklein, JoshTomalin) report that this procedure makes the V6II work with a Fuji X-Pro 2.

There are other posters also discussing X-Pro 2 issues, though.

JoshTomalin thinks that the trick is to use V1.1.001. If that were the case, Cactus would have to fix a bug in the latest firmware version.
  • Thanks for the response. I haven't had a problem with getting the forced HSS to learn/work when the unit and the camera appear to actually be communicating properly.  The problem is that they rarely seem to be communicating properly.  I now believe that the real problem is an alignment issue between the camera hot shoe and the trigger. They just don't line up properly.  Unfortunate.

Kurt
  • ...  I now believe that the real problem is an alignment issue between the camera hot shoe and the trigger. They just don't line up properly. 
    Hi Kurt, have you tried taking off the metal spring plate on camera's hot shoe?
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • ...  I now believe that the real problem is an alignment issue between the camera hot shoe and the trigger. They just don't line up properly. 
    Sorry Antonio why would you take the hotshoe on the camera apart? this would invalidate any warranty you have with the camera, I think you need to look into this issue as I have effectively spent a total of £300 on a flash system that doesnt do what it says its meant to do for fujifilm X cameras
    Sorry Antonio why would you take the hotshoe on the camera apart? this would invalidate any warranty you have with the camera, I think you need to look into this issue as I have effectively spent a total of £300 on a flash system that doesnt do what it says its meant to do for fujifilm X cameras
    Are we on the same page?

We are only asking you to take off the spring plate as illustrated in this video:

This spring gives you a snug(ger) fit when you mount flash devices on the camera hot shoe.

Please do not take apart your camera hot shoe!

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
    Are we on the same page?

We are only asking you to take off the spring plate as illustrated in this video:

This spring gives you a snug(ger) fit when you mount flash devices on the camera hot shoe.

Please do not take apart your camera hot shoe!

Thanks!
    HI Antonio that is what I meant my apologies , however if we were to remove Item(s) from a camera then it would be stated in the camera users manual in which it doesnt suggest removing any item from a camera to get a flash to work. We shouldn't be removing any item from a camera to make something work, it is there for a reason. 

Regards
  • For sure it's there for a reason. If you don't want to risk your Fuji cameras then please don't remove the spring plate.

The V6 II would still work but because the contact are so small on the Fuji you just need a more precise mounting to align the hot shoe.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager