issue to trigger my both Flashes Canon 580Ex II and canon 430 EX from my cactus RF60 set as tran

Hello All,

I am experiencing some  technical issue with my  2 Cactus V6 II and my Cactus RF60 
I use the Cactus RF 60 as the Master on top of my camera and  try to trigger my both Canon Flashes that are sitting on top of cactus  V6 II as receiver ,  when I press the test button on my RF 60  both Flashes respond however when i am  pressing the Shutter button on My  Canon T3i  i don't have a consistent result , can't control the output of the flashes, in fact  they fire at any level (high level) even though I put both to 1/128  they  fire at full power. when I press on test button on my Rf 60 , sometimes they fire at the power of 1/128  but not all the time. please help. :-)

Comments

• RF60 as transmitter (TX) cannot trigger Cactus V6 II.

As I explained in another thread:

---
    A slave cannot be smarter than the master. 

A V6 II set to RX mode needs digital information but it won’t get it from a RF60 in Master mode. 

RF60
    is like the V6, which uses analogue signal. But the V6 II uses digital
    signals.  Only the V6 II can trigger RF60, because the V6 II is smarter so it can be a master, but not the other way around.

Instead
    of using the RF60 as Master, we would recommend putting a TTL flash
    (your SB-700) with TTL pass-through turned on the V6 II and triggering
    the RF60 as off-camera. Such a setup will support HSS.

---

I know it's not the best solution, lugging extra weight on the camera, but the RF60 is still a manual flash with its single pin hot shoe, it cannot command a V6 II, which is not just a manual flash trigger, unlike the simpler original V6.

So if you prefer to just using a "flash + transmitter in one" device, you will have to use the origina V6 as receivers.

I hope the above helps in explaining the differences.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) but not by X-TTL firmware versions:  PEN.A.001 NIK.A.001 OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet for an "A" version firmware on the V6 (MK1). 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A04 and A03 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 NIK.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • edited September 2016
    Antonio, you write
    A slave cannot be smarter than the master. 
    Of course, the RF60 cannot support shutter speeds that exceed the sync-speed as it is a single-pin flash that does not communicate digitally with the camera.

However, I don't see any reason why the RF60 (in master mode) should not be able to remote control flashes on V6II receivers. It does the same for V6 receivers. Are you saying that a V6II in Rx mode is not compatible with a RF60 in master mode? If so, why is it not?

As a matter of fact, I just tried to control a Metz 58 AF-2 on a V6II receiver with a RF60 in master mode and was able to change its power level and zoom setting in addition to firing it. So unless one aims at using HSS, the RF60 appears to be a suitable master for V6II receivers.
  • ...However, I don't see any reason why the RF60 (in master mode) should not be able to remote control flashes on V6II receivers.
    It is actually not possible.

The reason is because V6 II as RX is waiting for a more complex package of information, due to its digital nature.

But the RF60 / V6 only sends out a "fire" signal.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) but not by X-TTL firmware versions:  PEN.A.001 NIK.A.001 OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet for an "A" version firmware on the V6 (MK1). 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A04 and A03 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 NIK.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • edited September 2016
    It is actually not possible.
    Shall we make a bet? :)
    1. I know how to write software for embedded systems. I can think of ways to make it work.
    2. The RF60 with V2.02 actually can control a flash on a V6II receiver. Please read my earlier post again in which I told you already that remote power level control, remote zoom setting control, and triggering are all possible with the RF60 in master mode. Just try it for yourself.

Don't undersell your product. :)

• edited September 2016
    Further to my recent post, it just occurred to me that I was only using the RF60's test button for checking triggering of an V6II Rx.

I can confirm agalant's observation that triggering the RF60 with a camera does not fire a flash on a V6II Rx. The latter's green LED fires (so it received a signal) but the flash isn't fired.

However, that's just looks like a software bug. If the RF60 can make a V6II Rx fire through the test button, it should also be able do it when triggered by the camera.
  • I don't think that is possible - RF60 as TX and triggering a V6 II, but will see what R&D can do. :)
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager