Problem with HSS and Fuji Xpro2 Learning.

My setup is Xpro2 with Cactus v6 mk2, Cactus v6 mk2 connected to Godox AD600B strobe....One v6 set for trigger and other set for transceiver....
v6 mk2 Transceiver - switch ON and says Auto 'N'
Godox AD600 set to Manual half power in HSS...

v6 on Xpro2 settings:-
Camera system-Fujifilm
Flash system-Nikon
Flash Profile- auto Nikon...
Sync mode-Normal HSS .....

Next I select 1000sec and f2.8 on my Fuji Xpro2 and select on v6 mk2 'Learn HSS 'F' start record at 1000sec in 30sec.

I take a shot, flash fires.... 'V6 Now Recorded'
But, on playback of photo only a slither of light at very top of photo is seen??
I take another photo seconds later and exactly the same.
I tried 'Factory reset' and I get the same results.....

Am I missing something as the v6 mk2 don't seem to be learning my Fuji Xpro2...
If I use sync speeds under 250th sec all works ok..

Help please!
Thanks!.
Mike.

Comments

• **Update**
    It seems I should set the Camera Setting to 'Auto(others)? Instead of Manually selecting Fujifilm.
    But when I do, I can't get the letter 'F' to appear in the camera on the v6 mk2 start up?

• Update again! Tried endlessly to get the letter 'F' to appear in the camera symbol while in the 'Camera setting-Auto(others) and not happening- now second battery flat!! I'm thinking these Cactus are not meant to work with Fuji after all! If I don't get these working with some help, they're going back to WEX,UK where I bought them.
  • Latest!.. 4hours on! Viewed a few videos on Youtube and copied their settings which look quite straight forward.. Guess what? Im still not getting the "Learn HSS" to work!  Firmwares are uptodate, Ive done evrerything possible regarding reading other pages on this site and still got nowhere! 
    Now run out of ideas and getting tired! This shouldn't be any problem but it is! 

• edited September 2016
    Did you follow these steps already?
    http://www.cactus-image.com/community/discussion/comment/2157/#Comment_2157

Esepcially the last step, in red below.

Detecting the Camera Ssystem
    With Fujifilm cameras, they tend to sleep very quickly - even if you just
    started up the camera. So in order to keep it awake, when you switch on
    the V6 II to TX mode, half-press the shutter release of your X-Pro2
    simultanously, maybe 2-3 half-presses as you switch on the V6 II.

Make sure you have selected AUTO on your V6 II for Camera System. If you
    manually selected Fujifilm previously, select Auto and the selection
    applies on the next powering on.

LEARN HSS on the V6 II
    Next,
    go through the LEARN HSS process. Remember to set your camera's shutter
    speed above x-sync, such as 1/1000, you may set it higher to 1/4000s or
    1/8000s as you like. Then take a shot and it will record the HSS info
    of your camera.

FYI once I was testing on the X-T1 and battery
    died on me. Powering on the camera and V6 II again, despite the V6 II
    says LEARN HSS has been recorded, it just won't sync with HSS. So I had
    to redo the LEARN HSS procedure.

Turn ON Forced HSS for Fujifilm
    Finally,
    make sure you actually turn ON the Forced HSS mode for Fujifilm. And
    you do that by pushing in the rotary dial.  Please take note that you
    will have to turn ON /OFF as your shutter speed go beyond or below the
    x-sync speed, otherwise the flash will not sync.

Checklist
    In conclusion, here are the steps to check:
    1. Auto-detect camera: Half-press shutter release
    2. Learn HSS: shoot above x-snyc
    3. Turn ON/OFF Forced HSS for Fujifilm: push in rotary dial
    Also, have you already removed the hot shoe metal spring plate of your X-pro2? It will help the V6 II detect the camera system. And don't forget to keep the camera active by half-pressing the shutter button.

Thank you and I look forward to your updates.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) but not by X-TTL firmware versions:  PEN.A.001 NIK.A.001 OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet for an "A" version firmware on the V6 (MK1). 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A04 and A03 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 NIK.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • edited September 2016
    Tried endlessly to get the letter 'F' to appear in the camera symbol while in the 'Camera setting-Auto(others) and not happening
    If you don't get this part to work, you don't need to continue.

You absolutely have to get the letter "F" to appear within the camera symbol after an auto detection. If that does not happen, it means the V6II is not properly communicating with your camera, which could be due to the camera "sleeping" or due to a lack of proper contact with the hot-shoe contacts of your camera.

Try keeping the camera awake by tapping on its shutter button (only half-presses) while you are turning on the V6II.

If that does not work, try removing the spring in the hot-shoe of your camera. There is a video for how to remove it for another camera; it is a reversible process, so you don't need to fear you are damaging your camera. 
  • Thanks for replies!
    My camera is definitely not sleeping when switching ON the v6 as I'm continuously focusing at the time.
    I've yet to get the letter 'F' to appear in the camera symbol on start up. So, looks like a problem from the start with pins alignment. I've tried both v6 mk2's and same problem.
    The video link shows the Olympus Spring being removed.
    The Xpro2 looks different and more solid. I tried to remove Spring but failed by useing 'tooth-pick' as it kept breaking.
  • Just tried removing the spring but, it won't budge! I'm just marking paintwork.
    I've tried numerous time again this morning and still can't get letter 'f' to appear! So, looks like I'll have to get a refund with some explanation.
  • I've tried everything now! Can't get neither of the v6's to auto detect my Fuji Xpro2 and can't remove Spring on hot shoe! Meaning I can't go any further.
    Yet, all videos on YouTube say to Set the camera setting to 'Fujifilm' and Flash to 'Nikon' then Learn HSS. I can even to this method!
  • Re packed and dispached for a refund! The V6 HSS hardware don't seem up to it!
  • @mikegreenslade I am sorry to hear it did not work on your X-Pro2.

We tested one and it worked even without removing the metal plate. Others with the X-Pro2 were able to auto-detect it as a Fujifilm. Perhaps there are differences between copies of the same camera.

Thank you again for your time and efforts during this time.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) but not by X-TTL firmware versions:  PEN.A.001 NIK.A.001 OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet for an "A" version firmware on the V6 (MK1). 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A04 and A03 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 NIK.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.