New User

This is embarrassing to ask.

Just changed my camera to an Olympus OM-D-E-M5 II and bought a Cactus system to go with it, an LV5, 2 x V6 and 2 x RF60 units as I prefer manual flash. Using the V6 units as wireless remotes outside presented no problems, very pleased. Today I tried one of the flash units indoors and, although the flash fired when asked it did not illuminate the subject, even at 125th at F8, no banding on the image, no illumination at all. Can anyone help, am I missing something simple.

Dave A

Comments

• Hi Dave,

Have you tried other shutter speeds?

I don't think there should be any different between outdoor and indoor.   What kind of indoor environement are you in? However it doesn't sound like a radio connection problem as the flash fired.

Perhaps try the same setup both indoor and outdoor to single out if it's camera settings or radio connection problem.

Thanks and keep us posted!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) and not by X-TTL firmware versions: PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet. 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A01 and A02 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Cactus RF60 is now an off-camera TTL flash with firmware version 205 or later!

Metz M400 (for Fujifilm) is now supported on the Cactus V6 II (HSS and TTL).

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Antonio
    Problem part resolved - one V6 on the camera switched to TX, group A, channel 1, one RF60 off-camera switched to RX, group A, Channel 1 - everything works perfectly.
    V6 on camera switched to RX and cabled to camera to act as wireless remote, second V6 switched to TX, flash as before. Using the second V6 to fire the camera also fires the flash, but the flash fires before the camera shutter, is there a way around this. I'm trying still life/macro work using two RF60 flash units.
    Regards
    Dave A
  • Hello Dave,

Have you already enabled the RELAY mode on both V6 units?

You should be able to remotely trigger camera's shutter (V6 RX) and RF60 flash (Slave mode) firing from a V6 (TX) in your hand. I just tried using a 5D3 and flash was in sync.  Remember to connect the V6 RX to your camera's shutter port using a shutter cable, this one for your OMD.

Let me know if that helps!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) and not by X-TTL firmware versions: PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet. 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A01 and A02 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Antonio Hi

Just re-read the instruction manual and found the Relay section, so much information to absorb. I haven't tried it yet but your reply confirms that it works. I have a cable, the correct one so I will try again in a few days. 

One aspect of the manuals I don't particularly like is the black highlighted text, it actually makes the text more difficult to read, I think underlining would be better, just my opinion. I really do like the Cactus kit though.

Dave A
  • Thanks Dave for your comments on the formatting on the user manual. maybe if the texts are bold it would be easier to read. Or perhaps if the highlighted colour is not inverted black but in a real neon highlighter yellow. However that would imply higher printing costs...

And yes the V6 is a little device packed with many functions and some of them requires a little read. :)
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Just popped in to say hi as well. I also use a OMD m5 II with a cactus rf60 and the V6. 
    Love the setup! 
  • @Robin, welcome on board!

Feel free to share your one-light setup on our flickr's page! :)

https://www.flickr.com/groups/cactus_image/
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Cheers!