help with V6 and RF60s using olympus e-m5 mark ii

hi, it seems that the V6 will not fire the rf60 on the e-m5 mk2. while off the camera, the test button does trigger the rf60. on camera it also triggers using test buttton with led green lighting but will not work when shutter button released. 

this same set up works fine on olympus e-pl1 and omd e-m10. i did notice that my cheap neewer manual flash triggers worked fine in the camera hot shoe and also using the rf60 as master on camera also triggered with no problems. both these items only use the center pin so i'm wondering if the v6 is not seating in the hot shoe properly (pin contact problem)? i do have it locked in properly but i'm wondering if it's too far forward and i have to set it back just slightly….still have to try that. also tried the the flash that came with camera and that works fine. 

the v6 is set to channel 1 (same as rf60), no ttl pass through, manual flash and works no problem in Rx mode. camera flash mode set to off and RC mode is off (same settings as on e-pl1 and e-m10). i have a pc sync cable incoming so i will try that too and update here. 

thanks in advance.

Comments

• I have the same setup and it works just fine. Sounds like there's a problem with your V6? What profile are you using?
  • Yeah this is a strange one to figure out because other flashes work fine on the camera and the V6 works fine on other cameras. They just don't get along for some reason even after resetting the V6. I'm using the Manual flash profile. Just hoping the PC sync cable will work.
  • Hello Paul,

Could you check as you press the shutter button on your camera, do you see the LED flashes green?  It would when you press the Test Button on the V6. This way we can check if there are any connection issues between th camera and the V6.

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • edited January 2016
    Hi Antonio,

No LED flashes green when I half press or full press the shutter button. But the PC sync cable came in and the V6 works fine with that attached to the camera so at least I could use it now and use the RF60 as an extra flash instead of a master transmitter. 

Thanks!
  • Hi Paul, then it's likely a hot shoe connection issue between your camera and the V6 (TX). 

There aren't any previously reported cases with contact pins alignment issues with Olympus cameras so far, but do make sure the V6 has been mounted fully on camera's hot shoe.

Also, on your camera's menu check if the FLASH MODE is set to enable flash firing.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • I'm having the same problem on an Olympus E-M5. The V6's work fine on my Canon 6D & 7DII.
  • I turn on TTL pass through and the E-M5 is now working with the V6 (flashs are in manual mode).
  • Thanks @jklick for the updates and sharing your solution!  Much appreciated :)
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager