Battery, USB, Foot

Hello all

I have been
using a set of Cactus V6 and RF60 for the past 7 or 8 months, and couldn’t be more
pleased.

Being very
adept of the strobist method, the Cactus line of products offers all the
required features, some utilities not found in any other products that really
help, and keeps unnecessary complications at bay – keeping the product user and
wallet friendly.

Still,
after my many uses of the RF 60, I found 3 points that I believe the RF 60
could be improved upon.

1 – Battery
hatch – as already mentioned by another user, I won’t say much, only that
although it does its job, it can be hard to open or close at times and does
feel a little flimsy;

2 – USB connection
– although a marvelous touch, the ability to easily update and share custom
selections between flashes using the USB, I feel its location could be better.
I use my RF 60 with a Joby Gorillapod, the quick release plate permanently connected
on the ¼ screw on the side of the RF 60 – by the way very, VERY well done, such
a simple feature, so much user capabilities – but said plate covers the USB.
Though not a “bad” thing, it means I have to take the plate off in order to
synch my flashes;

3 – Not regarding
the RF 60 itself, but the “foot” – the same that comes with the V6. When you look
at it, the connection itself (the part that resembles a hotshoe), does not have
the same width all the way around. About half way through, it starts to slope which
means, it has no grip to the flash past that point. As I mentioned, I use the
flash out side the camera, so the foot is permanently on my flash. But using your
foot, because of the mentioned detailed, most times it would just fall of my
flash and disappear in my bag – regardless of how much I tightened the flash. Because
of this, I use another flash foot. Again, though not a deal breaker as the RF
60 are amazing products, it is a point that could be improved upon.

I hope this
helps in some ways, as I said, I am a very proud and happy owner of your
products and I can´t recommend them enough – though I do it extensively.

Still,
given my experience as “end user”, I feel these points, although of relative
importance when compared to all the other great features of these products,
could be improved.

Best
regards to all of your team, thank you for the amazing products, and for your
support network

Alex

Comments

• Hello Alex,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and suggestions on improving the RF60. I will surely forward them to the R&D team for consideration, but probably for the next model as some of them would be difficult to do as running change, with the exception of the battery door.

My own experience of the battery door is that it opens too easily. This was reported when RF60 was first launched in 2014. I still have one of the earlier ones and since then it has improved a little.

IMO I would prefer a stiffer door than one that's too loose. So maybe you have got slightly bigger AA batteries or your contact plates are still fairly new so they are pushing the batteries hard against the door, so it requires more force to open and close.  When you take out the batteries do you feel that the door is much easier to open and close?

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hello Antonio

First of all, thank you for your quick reply and sorry for my late one.

It's very refreshing to see a company actually replying and so openly recieving feedback from their costumers. Great products and a responsive costumer service, my chosing Cactus proves to be the best option every day.

As I mentioned, I have used the RF60 extensively, so the contact plates should have molded by now. However, you did bring up a very interesting point I never considered - and have put it to the test as I write this.

I use Eneloop Pro AA batteries. I had noticed that their measurements are slightly different than standard AA. In fact, though they fit, some household products won't work with them. So I tested my RF60 with some "normal", alcalyne AA. You are right. They fit much better.

Still, my door doesn't open easily as you reported. Perhaps I have one model that as been improved, as you mention, and in doing so, Cactus R&D limited the space in the compartment.

I will keep in using eneloops, however, the performance I get out of my RF60 with them is much better than with some other brands. And my door is still well attached, so they don't force it as much.

Quite an eye opener.

Once again, thank you for your reply, I know that these changes won't be applied over night, but considering the resilience of the RF60, i won't be replacing mine overnight either!

Best regards

Alex