Dead V6 unit

I have a V6 unit in as new condition, that was working but is completely dead for no apparent reason.
Is there a fuse perhaps that I could replace to get this unit working again?.
As I have bought 4 V6 and 3 RF60 at different times and from different dealers I do not know which dealer supplied the
disabled V6 so I am stuck for a fix.
I am happy to open the unit if this would lead to a solution, can anyone offer any advice please.

Comments

• I also posted here regarding the Cactus firmware updater not recognizing either the V6 or RF60 units when attached to a laptop.
    When I attached my dead V6 to my laptop to see if maybe it was fixable through a firmware update, it turned on, but is not being seen by the updater, so i do have power up via the laptop battery, in fact I can access all the normal menus attached to external laptop power. 
    On AA battery power it will still not start up, which is a puzzle. 

• Hello Gregory,

I suppose you have you tried new batteries already? Say if you were using Duracell, try switching to Eneloops and see if it makes any difference.

However if there's problem with the Mode Switch or related internal parts preventing you from powering on the device then you will need to send it to us for an inspection.

Would any of your invoices indicate the serial number of the V6?
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) and not by X-TTL firmware versions: PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet. 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A01 and A02 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Cactus RF60 is now an off-camera TTL flash with firmware version 205 or later!

Metz M400 (for Fujifilm) is now supported on the Cactus V6 II (HSS and TTL).

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • edited May 2016 PM
    Hi Gregory,

you could check whether the internal battery contacts are bent. I'm talking about the ones inside the unit, not the contacts on the battery compartment cover.

Put in batteries into your faulty V6 unit and compare their height (how far they stick out) with the height of batteries in your working V6 units. If they sit a bit lower, chances are the batteries are not making a connection to the contacts in the battery compartment cover anymore.

Should that be the case, a fix is pretty easy. You'd just have to open up the V6, bend the battery contacts forward again, and re-assemble the V6. Reassembly is a bit fiddly and you need to be a bit careful with the flat ribbon cables when taking it apart and putting it together, but all this is no witchcraft. Just take your time with it, should you attempt a repair.

FYI, I once experienced bent battery contacts when a V6 fell from quite a height and the impulse of the batteries compressed the contacts. This happened to a very early test unit and I believe that Cactus, since then, has improved the construction so that this fault cannot develop anymore even in case of a hefty impact. However, I think checking the internal contacts is a quick procedure and may lead to a fix of your problem.

• Thanks Class A for the reminder.  That could indeed be one of the causes.

@Gregory, if you could power up the V6 (with or without AA batteries) by the mini-USB cable plugged into a power source, such as your computer, then you can single out the issue of a power switch / related cirucits malfunctioning.

Let us know. Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) and not by X-TTL firmware versions: PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet. 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A01 and A02 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hi Antonio+ Class A
    Sorry for the delay in coming back to your responses,
    It is a power switch issue as I can access the menus as normal when plugged into a power source.
    I did investigate the various battery fixes as a first option but these seem fine as I have other units to compare battery/fit with.
    The serial number I assume is etched on the base of the unit and reads A40802015, would this raise a batch problem perhaps?.
    I have on repeated occasions suggested the Cactus brand, on for example, the Fuji X Forum when a question has been asked regarding what flash system to use and I had just passed 2 x V6 units to my daughter who is studying photography at college so this has left me minus a back up V6.
    Apart from this the system has been without fault.
    Let me know if I can effect a repair myself using your instructions.
    regards
    Gregory

• Hello @Gregory, sounds like the circuits connecting to the Mode Switch needs to be fixed. We recommend it back for repair.

Email us copy of your invoice (the latest one since you have a few) so we can see if it is within the one-year warranty. If it is you may choose to send it to he dealer or directly to us. Here's our address for RMA:

Harvest One Ltd.
    11A, Block 2, Koon Wah Mirror Factory (6th) Industrial Building,
    7-9 Ho Tin Street, Tuen Mun,
    New Territories,
    HONG KONG

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Update
    As suggested the V6 was returned for repair and is now back with me working well, having been turned around quickly.
    Top marks for fast service to all at Cactus.
    Gregory
  • Thanks a lot for your kind encouragements, @Gregory.

Just shout if you need anything else :)

Happy shooting!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager