RF 60 Random Firing

edited July 2016 in RF60 Problems
I recently purchased a Cactus V6 and two RF 60 flash units and set them up for the first time last night to use with my Olympus OM-D E-M1 as follows:

1) Both RF 60 units to Slave and channel 1, one unit to Group A and one unit to Group B (so that I can control the power separately for each), both on light stands shooting through translucent white umbrellas, both at 24mm zoom.

2) I changed the settings on the V6 slightly as follows:

a. Lo Power to “On” and Working Range to “Short” because the “A” unit was about 3 feet from the V6 and the “B” unit about 10 feet away.

b. LCD Back-light to 15 sec.

c. Sleep to 15 Min.

3) I generally had the “B” unit set at half the output of the “A” unit as I was experimenting with different shots – i.e. “B” at 16 when “A” was at 8, “B” at 32 when “A” was at 16 etc. but sometimes the difference would be more or less but usually the "B" unit was at lower power than the "A" unit.

First, could you please recommend the best general settings for the V6 and the 2 RF 60's for the set up I describe above?

Secondly, I encountered an issue that may have been a result of my changing settings or not setting the units up properly. The issue was that I noticed it seemed in some shots one of the RF 60 units was not firing. I experimented and test fired each unit separately by turning only one group on at a time on the V6 and it seemed that sometimes the “B” RF 60 would not fire when I pushed the button on the V6, even though the red light was on in back of the “B” unit and even though I would bring the V6 right next to the “B” RF 60. But then I would turn the V6 off then on or I would fiddle with the Output (F-stop?) settings for both groups by turning the wheel on the V6 and then everything would seem to work fine. Very odd and frustrating.

Any thoughts / suggestions / things I can try / setting changes I can make??

Comments

• Hey @Hoddy11050

On your E-M1, when you release shutter, does the Status LED blinks green?

Does pressing Test Button fires the RF60?

The connection between V6 and RF60 should be pretty straight forward. Maybe try other channels?

FYI with the Cactus V6 II, we notice the E-M1 does not work unless we take out the hot shoe metal spring. You may give that a try but it may not help on the V6 as it's not talking to the camera and it only requires the centre hot shoe pin for flash triggering.

I will try the V6 on our E-M1 tomorrow and keep you posted.

Thank you!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.