Shutter lines

edited August 2016 in V6 IIs Problems
Hello!

I have started to use my V6iis transmitters and RF60s daily, and I've started to see something with shutter speeds on my A7Rii with the kit.

After about an hour of shooting, if I move from a shutter speed of 1/250 or lower then move up to a shutter speed of over 1/1000, I'll see the RF60s go out of sync and start to produce lines on my shots.

I am only about 6 feet away from the flashes and transmitters, and have tried both the short and long transmitter power.

The way to get them to sync back is to just reset the entire system. That takes time and looks shoddy when my subject is on my clock!

This was a very bad thing to see happen and caused me much pain because I had already started to use them with confidence. I am going to have to reshoot two sessions, and that is costing me some serious time and expense.

-Oz 

EDITED: I'm trying to figure out why this intermittent problem happens. Lots of trial and error. It sometimes happens when I set it on 1/1000. I took the F32M out of the picture too, but i still see the problems.

Comments

• Hello Oz,

I am sorry to hear about this problem you encountered on your shoot. I will pass your case to R&D first thing on Monday and post an update in a couple days.

Thanks in advance for your understanding during this time.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hi, Antonio!

I appreciate it. Let me know if your team wants examples of the results from the problem.
  • Sure Oz, if you could me send samples of the images if you think they help illustrates the intermittent problem. You may post them here or email them to us at info@cactus-image.com

You mentioned 6 ft.  FYI Short Range mode supports up to 3m. So technically it both range mode should work.

Have you also tried changing to other channels? Are you shooting at a location or in a studio? 

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • edited August 2016
    A few more questions
    1. When you restart the RF60, how long can normal triggering lasts for? - until you have to restart it again?
    2. Have you tried replacing new batteries as soon as the you noticed the problem?
    3. Is your RF60 already running on the latest 203 firmware version?
    4. Did you set RF60 to power saving mode? 
    5. How was your shoot like in the 1 hour duration? Were you shooting constantly Approx how many photos was taken in the hour?
    Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• start to produce lines on my shots.

I guess that the "lines" could be that I like to call "Zebra stripes". The solution is very simple, turn off the Electronic Front Curtain shutter on your SONY camera when you are shooting over the sync speed. Works like charm.
    The only downside is that your camera is a little more "noisy".

I am not sure about your other issues, but I am sure Antonio is going to help you.
  • Thanks, Lansa301, I'll try that out!

My problem is intermittent though. I will sometimes get the zebra stripes. If I reset the whole system including the camera, I won't get the stripes. If I go to a lower speed, then back up again, I'll get the stripes. Maybe turning off the shutter is a good interim solution, but I'd rather the flashes sync up correctly and consistently. :D
  • A few more questions
    1. When you restart the RF60, how long can normal triggering lasts for? - until you have to restart it again?
    2. Have you tried replacing new batteries as soon as the you noticed the problem?
    3. Is your RF60 already running on the latest 203 firmware version?
    4. Did you set RF60 to power saving mode? 
    5. How was your shoot like in the 1 hour duration? Were you shooting constantly Approx how many photos was taken in the hour?
    Thank you.
    Hi!

1: After I reset the system, if I take a few shots at 1/250 then move over 1/1000, I will get the zebra lines.

2: Fresh batteries always. I'm drowning in Enerloops.

3: Newest Firmware

4: the RF60s are set to never sleep. No power saving anything.

5: It is intermittent shooting. Generally, after I start seeing the Zebra lines, the transmitter crashes and causes me to restart my whole system. I might take 30 shots in the hour. I'm not really stressing out the batteries with this use.

Could I send the photos via another method? My subjects haven't given permission to post these publicly. Thanks!

-Oz
  • Hey Oz,

No problem, please send the images to our email direct: info@cactus-image. You may blur the subject / brand, as long as we can see the strips it will be fine. Please also resize them smaller so it's easier on the email.

Thank you and I will speak to R&D and get a reply to you in a couple days.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Finally got back from temporary duty. Going to send those over.
  • start to produce lines on my shots.

I guess that the "lines" could be that I like to call "Zebra stripes". The solution is very simple, turn off the Electronic Front Curtain shutter on your SONY camera when you are shooting over the sync speed. Works like charm.
    The only downside is that your camera is a little more "noisy".

I am not sure about your other issues, but I am sure Antonio is going to help you.

Hi again!

The electronic shutter OFF function fixed the issue, but I think a related issue has started to happen for me.

After about a half hour of shooting, the one I'm using as a transmitter seems to just lose its mind and stop communicating with the camera.

I have tried resetting the camera first, which doesn't work. The only thing that will make it work is resetting the V6 IIs that is connected to the camera. I have swapped with other units in my set, and they all show the same problem. Is anyone else having this problem?

I'll start logging how many shots it takes and how much time it takes before it happens.
  • ...I'll start logging how many shots it takes and how much time it takes before it happens.
    Please do. We are very interested to learn about this so we can try and resolve the issue. If you notice any external changes please let us know too.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Ok I have some data for you, which I should have time to forward along this weekend, but now I have a different problem as of last week. I posted a new thread.