Linking RF-60 to V6II on XT1 - Forced HSS (on) will not fire

Camera: Fuji XT1
Trigger: Cactus v6 II (Firmware: 1.1.003)
Flash: RF-60 (Firmware: 2.02)

I've tried syncing the camera to the trigger in both "fujifilm" and "auto" methods I have had the trigger "learn" the camera system. the Flash is set to A (HSS), with AU HSS in the off position.

Problem: When i push the dial and set the "Forced HSS" to "on" the flash will not fire.  When i set it to "off" the flash fires.  This is backwards why?  Also, when the flash fires (in the "forced HSS" "off") position, it doesn't add any light to the image at full (1) power? 

Question : why is the "forced HSS" command backwards, and is my RF60 actually firing the proper way (strobe effect?) to provide HSS?

Comments

• Also,

After "learning" and setting the trigger and flash to "recommended" settings, the following occurs:

@ 1/180x - Flash fires and provides normal amount of set light
    @ 1/250th - Flash fires and a black or darker band appears in image 1/5th of the way up the image
    @ 1/500th - Flash fires and a black or darker band appears in image 4/5ths of the way up the image
    @1/1000 - 1/4000 - Flash fires and a the whole image is either black, or dark with no contribution to the image from the flash.  

( i know how high shutter speeds work, which is why this new system is supposed to eliminate these issues but doesn't? )

Are there some very specific instructions available regarding my system on how to get this to work? I've heard some boast this set up should take 5 minutes, and i'm on day 3.  

Frustrated.
  • edited September 2016 PM
    Ken said:

the Flash is set to A (HSS), with AU HSS in the off position.

Why do you set "AU HSS" to "OFF"?
    Do you manually engage "HSS" with the "MULTI/HSS" button?

Why not leave the "AU HSS" at "ON"?
    If you leave it at "ON" then the RF60 should automatically produce HSS bursts once shutter speeds exceed the sync speed.

For troubleshooting, you may also want to try the "Power Sync" option on the V6II.

BTW, what do you mean by having the RF60 set to "A (HSS)"? Do you mean it is in group A? You have it in "S" (slave) mode and the delay value is 0ms, right?
  • Ken said:

...with AU HSS in the off position.

Yes, as Class A mentioned above,

AU HSS should be switched to ON.

FYI: by defauly (after firmware udpate to 202) AU HSS is set to ON. You don't need to set anything before using it in HSS.

Note: you don't need to touch the HSS/MULTI button on the RF60. That was the HSS Sympathy Mode used with the original V6.

Everything else you mentioned seems to be right.

Let us know how you get on.  Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) and not by X-TTL firmware versions: PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet. 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A01 and A02 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Cactus RF60 is now an off-camera TTL flash with firmware version 205 or later!

Metz M400 (for Fujifilm) is now supported on the Cactus V6 II (HSS and TTL).

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • I think everything is working.  I'll have to go and test it in the field.  It took several re-installs of the firmware in both the V6II and the RF60s.   Will repost after test.

• Ken said:

....Will repost after test.

Thanks Ken.

Do also check if the Status LED on the V6 II blinks green when you release shutter on your X-T1.

There are cases before when the flash is fired but there's a delay of like 2-3 seconds. That happens when LEARN HSS was not properly recorded by the V6 II - for an unknown reason as I wasn't able to replicate it, I bumped into this once.  The fix - re-LEARN HSS again after complete system start up (camera, V6 II and RF60).

Please also do a camera system check by selecting auto-detect on the V6 II mounted on camera as transmitter. Set it to Auto, power off and on again for selection to take effect.

When you power on the camera and transmitter, keep the camera active by half-pressing the shutter release button a couple times as the V6 II is switched on to TX mode. The V6 II will (should) detect the camera as Fujifilm given all the hot shoe contact pins are aligned between the camera and the V6 II.

Hope the above helps!

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) and not by X-TTL firmware versions: PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet. 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A01 and A02 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • edited September 2016 PM

Hi

I have the exact same problem. X-T1with RF-60 and V6II with last firmware update.

The V6II in Auto detect shows The F when starting, so the V6II communicate properly with the X-T1.

The flash fires but I have banding at 1/500 and black image at 1/1000

I’ve tried every thing and could not find a solution.

I have tried RF60 and V6II with my Panasonic GX80 and HSS work properly at any speed so it’s not a hardware problem.

Help… I really need HSS with X-T1

Thank you

• The flash fires but I have banding at 1/500 and black image at 1/1000

I’ve tried every thing and could not find a solution.

Have you tried re-doing LEARN HSS?
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• yes ... it did not help 
  • We released new firmware version, 1.1.004, last week.
    Which version are you running on your V6 II?
    Thank you!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• It was on version 1.1.003 I updated to version 1.1.004 and it works ... THANK YOU ... good work
  • No sorry it still does not work .... 
  • Is your RF60 firmware running on version 202 already?

It is really strange that it's not working on your X-T1.

When you release shutter, does the Status LED blinks green?
    How far is the RF60 away from the camera?
    If you are testing within 3 meters, set V6 II to Short Range mode.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Yes version 202
    Yes when i release the shutter the status LED blinks green
    Yes the V6II is in short range..

• And the X-T1 is set to Single Shot and also Mechanical Shutter?
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Yes ... The flash fire but i have banding at 1/500 and black image at 1/100
  • Yes ... The flash fire but i have banding at 1/500 and black image at 1/100

Black screen at 1/100s because that's below x-sync (1/180s on the X-T1).
    Try again but turn off Forced HSS first.

Banding at 1/500s means Learn HSS didn't learn properly.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• sorry it's black image at 1/1000 ... 
  • I finally got it works... It was the force HSS on the wheel button ... I did not know the wheel button had a clic ... It's on Forced HSS ON
  • Thank you for your time
  • Yeah!  You gotta push it inward :)

Thanks for the update.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager