Updated hot shoe plate or locking mechanism?

Hi, is the tightening mechanism or hot shoe plate on the V6 II any different than it was on the V6? I have a Pentax K-5II and K-5IIS and it easily wiggles out enough to partially lose connection (TTL data isn't sent). This doesn't occur with any other hot shoe devices that I use on either of the cameras.

Comments

• Hi, I'm a Pentax user as well.

Both V6 and V6II can rotate a bit in a Pentax hot-shoe. I think it is a concession to the fact that their hot-shoe feet are supposed to fit other hot-shoe types.

I think you are right, though, that the V6II can rotate slightly more than the V6 which is a bit of a shame because it seems that the V6 hot-show was small enough to fit other cameras already. Perhaps it was too tight a fit for some camera models?

Normally, the locking lever should allow you to tighten the V6II sufficiently so that it does not lose contact. Does the V6II still wiggle even when you turn the lever past the 3 o'clock position?

If it does, perhaps gluing a circular ring of cardboard to the bottom of the locking ring (that touches the upper part of the camera's hot-shoe) may help to increase the friction? I know, it would be better if it worked right out of the box, but if it works, I'd take the fix.

• ... is the tightening mechanism or hot shoe plate on the V6 II any different than it was on the V6?
    Yes it's exactly the same.

On a side note, we will improve the fastening ring on future product batches. The new ring will have:
    1. Improved grip with camera hot shoe by increasing the surface of contact.
    2. Less vertical drop of the plastic handle to minimize contact with dials on some camera models.
    This will be used as running change. Hopefully we can implement this soon.

As for the mount on Pentax cameras, on our copies of the K-5II it's pretty tight at around 4 o'clock to 3:30 position. If you use the fastening ring extensively, the camera metal shoe may eat into plastic a little and you can close it down at around 3 o'clock, as Class A mentioned above.

Let us know how we may further assist you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hi, I'm a Pentax user as well.

Both V6 and V6II can rotate a bit in a Pentax hot-shoe. I think it is a concession to the fact that their hot-shoe feet are supposed to fit other hot-shoe types.

I think you are right, though, that the V6II can rotate slightly more than the V6 which is a bit of a shame because it seems that the V6 hot-show was small enough to fit other cameras already. Perhaps it was too tight a fit for some camera models?

Normally, the locking lever should allow you to tighten the V6II sufficiently so that it does not lose contact. Does the V6II still wiggle even when you turn the lever past the 3 o'clock position?

If it does, perhaps gluing a circular ring of cardboard to the bottom of the locking ring (that touches the upper part of the camera's hot-shoe) may help to increase the friction? I know, it would be better if it worked right out of the box, but if it works, I'd take the fix.

Thanks, Class A. I haven't actually tried a V6II yet, but was posting this with the hopes that the design was different. That is disappointing to hear that it might even be worse. It is completely locked in, however it still can be bumped out just enough to lose TTL communication but not fall out. This is accidentally achieved much more frequently when you have a flash in the V6 hotshoe and additionally with a modifier on the flash. Thanks for the shim advice.
  • ... is the tightening mechanism or hot shoe plate on the V6 II any different than it was on the V6?
    Yes it's exactly the same.

On a side note, we will improve the fastening ring on future product batches. The new ring will have:
    1. Improved grip with camera hot shoe by increasing the surface of contact.
    2. Less vertical drop of the plastic handle to minimize contact with dials on some camera models.
    This will be used as running change. Hopefully we can implement this soon.

As for the mount on Pentax cameras, on our copies of the K-5II it's pretty tight at around 4 o'clock to 3:30 position. If you use the fastening ring extensively, the camera metal shoe may eat into plastic a little and you can close it down at around 3 o'clock, as Class A mentioned above.

Let us know how we may further assist you.
    Thanks Antonio. As this is a running change, I assume that there won't be a model name change? If so, let me know how I'm able to ensure that I'm buying a a new copy once they are released.

Thanks!
  • No problem @jab2980. When this running change made it to the production batch I will let you know.

And yes, no name change since it's only a minor parts change.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.