SB700 Locks up after one flash

Hi I'm using a Fuji XT-1 with the Nikon SB700.

I have manually specified the flash on the receiver.
I connect the flash to the receiver set the flash to TTL and turn the flash on.
I then set the flash to manual as TTL is not supported with my Fuji X camera but I still want to be able to control power from the transmitter unit.  I also do this because I use an external flash meter and I get inaccurate readings with it because of TTL pre-flash.

After a single test flash, the flash will refuse to fire again and I need to turn both the flash and the receiver off and on again.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Comments

• You must set the flash to TTL mode, even if the flash runs on a different system thany our camera. Because it does not matter, as long as you do not turn on TTL Pass Through on the V6 II. 

It's fine to switch on the flash after the V6 II if you have manually selected the Fujifilm system and corresponding flash profile. But if you use auto-detect, remember to switch on the flash first (yes in TTL mode).

Note the V6 and V6 II is a cross-brand flash transceiver. That includes both off-camera and on-camera flash. 

You can manually control the flash output of the on-camera flash by holding MENU button as you swipe the Adjustment DIal at the same time.

Have a try and let me know if you're okay.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) and not by X-TTL firmware versions: PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet. 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A01 and A02 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Cactus RF60 is now an off-camera TTL flash with firmware version 205 or later!

Metz M400 (for Fujifilm) is now supported on the Cactus V6 II (HSS and TTL).

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Thanks Antonio, I will try that, but it will still leave me with the problem of TTL preflashes messing up my flash meter reading I think?
  • Do you need HSS?

With the V6II, you'll always get a pre-flash, unless you set the flash to manual mode (and lose remote power control).

With the V6 you could control and trigger the SB700 without getting a pre-flash. At least I'm pretty sure that's the case. 

But you wouldn't get HSS either.
  • Surfheart said:

Thanks Antonio, I will try that, but it will still leave me with the problem of TTL preflashes messing up my flash meter reading I think?

That's right, as Class A said, V6 II will always have a pre-flash, when you want to have HSS.

Unfortunately there isn't a flash meter in the market that can skips a pre-flash.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) and not by X-TTL firmware versions: PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet. 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A01 and A02 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Cactus RF60 is now an off-camera TTL flash with firmware version 205 or later!

Metz M400 (for Fujifilm) is now supported on the Cactus V6 II (HSS and TTL).

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.