did cactus v6II make my yn568 broken?

edited September 2016 in V6 II Problems
I got cactus v6II 3day ago. I use it which my fuji xt1 and xt10 and yn568ex(nikon) it woke like a magic until yesterday. the flash can't sync which all ss. and it can only fire only full power. in sync it was miss fire too. I try reset, turn on and off hss, it not work. finally i try just use test button on flash and found it can only use full power. did cactus do this or my yn568ex are poor qc?

Comments

• I ultimately don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that the PocketWizard MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 models were once suspected to "kill" Canon 580EX II flashes.

The symptom of an affected Canon 580EX II was very similar as you describe; it only works at full power.

It turned out that the issue was caused by a design flaw of the Canon 580EX. Using HSS (in conjunction with the PocketWizard trigger) just caused the design flaw to eventually manifest in a flash defect.

Yours is the first flash that has been suspected to be damaged by a V6II so I'd say it is very unlikely that the V6II is the actual cause.

Yongnuo had its troubles with QC in the past (judging from Amazon reviews) but I don't know how reliable their flashes are now and/or when you got yours.
  • Hi @basz, do you have a NIkon camera to test with your YN568EX?

On your V6 II set to RX mode, did you let the V6 II auto-detect the flash? If you did, have you also tried manually selecting the flash system and profile? (i.e. Nikon, 568EX*)

Now without connecting the flash to the V6 II, set it to M mode and adjust the power directly on the flash. Are you able to set different powers and fire at the corresponding power levels?

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hi @basz, do you have a NIkon camera to test with your YN568EX?

On your V6 II set to RX mode, did you let the V6 II auto-detect the flash? If you did, have you also tried manually selecting the flash system and profile? (i.e. Nikon, 568EX*)

Now without connecting the flash to the V6 II, set it to M mode and adjust the power directly on the flash. Are you able to set different powers and fire at the corresponding power levels?

Thanks!
    HI,THANK YOU

I have try many way to make it work like you said, but it not work. now i wait my friend for his nikon to test on it. with out cactus v6II the flash it-self still can't use 1/128 or any other power it just only FULL POWER. 

• edited September 2016
    If your flash always fires at full power in manual mode independently of the power setting then that most likely means that the IGBT got damaged. It is a transistor that shuts off power supply to the flash tube.

Have you read the article I linked in my first post? You might find it useful.
  • edited September 2016
    If your flash always fires at full power in manual mode independently of the power setting then that most likely means that the IGBT got damaged. It is a transistor that shuts off power supply to the flash tube.

Have you read the article I linked in my first post? You might find it useful.
    thank, Class A 

I find many yongnuo flash got this problem. my next flash has to care about the tought.
  • may it has to fix like this 

• may it has to fix like this 

Yes, potentially it could be as easy as that.

Just be very, very careful, if you do any repairs on your flash yourself. The capacitor can carry an extremely high voltage even after you have taken the batteries out and left it for a couple of days. You either have to discharge it in a controlled manner (with a resistor) or make sure you never get near any contacts that carry that voltage.

I've repaired/modified flashes myself but I always stayed clear of the part of the flash that contains the capacitor and any electronic parts that may carry the capacitor voltage.
  • Yes, potentially it could be as easy as that. 
    Just be very, very careful, if you do any repairs on your flash yourself. The capacitor can carry an extremely high voltage even after you have taken the batteries out and left it for a couple of days. You either have to discharge it in a controlled manner (with a resistor) or make sure you never get near any contacts that carry that voltage.

I've repaired/modified flashes myself but I always stayed clear of the part of the flash that contains the capacitor and any electronic parts that may carry the capacitor voltage.

Thank you