RF 60 won't accept power adjustments from v6IIs

I am using a Sony a7RII and a6300. V6IIs on top of camera. V6II on the canon flashes I have and they work and adjust fine. Just got the RF60. Does not always fire and will not accept power level changes made on the v6IIs. I have tried every different group with othe flashes turned on and off. I am on channel 1, I have also tried other channels and I have tried short and long distance. I have tried slave mode and master mode. I have looked on everything I can find to make this happen and before I send it back (thinking it is a lemon) I figured I would try here. I have a big shoot tomorrow that I need all my lights for and really would like to get this fixed. I am hoping it is a small thing!
Deb Scannell

Comments

• edited August 2016
    Hi Deb,

the RF60 needs a firmware update before it will work with the V6II(s). It has to be at least version V2.00. Press the "Next" button while you turn on the RF60 and you'll see the firmware version.

If you need an update -- sounds like it -- you need to download the Firmware Updater from the Cactus website.

Slave mode is the right one to use.
  • Thank you - that worked in 30 seconds... You guys should put that into the quick start guide in big bold red font! You don't think of it when buyin g anew flash!
  • I have another question regarding my alien bees. How would I fire this set up. Sony a7r2/a6300 with thev6IIs on my camera and I have other v6II. Can I fire my alien bees with one of the triggers or do I need additional cables and if so please tell me which ones. Thanks - Deb
  • Hello Deb,

You may use either the V6 II or V6 Iis and connect it to your Alien Bees by a sync cord, such as this:

http://store.cactus-image.com/cactus-coiled-3-5mm-plug-cable-with-6-35mm-plug-adapter-ca-360/

However, depending on your Alien Bees model, on paper most of their recent models seem to have a flash duration that is too short to support high-speed sync.

For a strobe that does not have native support of HSS, the flash duration has to be 1/100s or longer, at t0.1.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • thanks for your response.  I will try that.  I am having trouble firing my camera remotely using my pocket wizard III's. they work 50% of the time which is unacceptable on a shoot. All I need to do is fire my camera remotely while I am walking around with my flashes moving them for different effects. I was thinking about using your sc-s2 cord to connect the cactus v6IIs that is on top of my sony a7rII and have another cactus in my hand to simply fire it. My question is will the V6IIs on my camera still fire my flashes?  IF so, what problems can I encounter or is there anything you can tell me to look out for or set to a particular setting...

Also, my RF60 seems to work intermittently.  It is on the right group and channel. I am using many other flashes at this time both slaves like a youngnuo 560 and canon 430/580 and flashpoint streaktlight 360 but that is slave and manual. one time I realized it was on HSS mode and changed it and it started to work - weird... anything you can think of?  Thanks for your quick response - Deb
  • Remote triggering the camera with a V6II while still firing flashes is not a problem with the "relay" mode of the V6II. Set both remote V6II trigger and the V6II transmitter on the camera to "relay" mode and you shouldn't have any issues.

Regarding the RF60: Are you running V2.04? I had reliability issues with the RF60 as well before I upgraded to this latest firmware. If you are running anything older then V2.04 then I think your problems are most likely to disappear.

BTW, you don't need to engage HSS mode manually on the RF60. Just leave the "Auto HSS" option at "ON" and you should be good.
  • I have done what you suggested, setting in relay mode. It is not firing. Kind of a stupid question, but, I have tried all of the buttons on the trigger, which one is supposed to be pushed?  I have not been successful on making the camera fire. I am using the v6IIs on my sony camera and a v6II in my hand. DO they both need to be v6IIs? Also the camera trigger needs to be in transceiver mode to fire my other flashes but what does the trigger need to been ?  I have tried both 
    Please send very specific instructions as I have played with this for 20 minutes unsuccessfully - 

Additionally, my RF60 continues to work only sometimes. It is very frustrating and embarrassing - what do we do about this?  I did an update 2 months ago when I first got it.  Where do I check again for the firmware - also is there a direct email for you so we can communicate more efficiently and privately -?
  • HI Deb,
    ...I have tried all of the buttons on the trigger, which one is supposed to be pushed? 
    The Test Button beside the AF-assist light.
    ... I am using the v6IIs on my sony camera and a v6II in my hand. DO they both need to be v6IIs?

No, they can be a mix of V6 models and RF60.
    ... Also the camera trigger needs to be in transceiver mode to fire my other flashes but what does the trigger need to been ?  I have tried both 

There isn't a "transceiver" mode per se, it's either transmitter or receiver.
    The unit in your hand should be transmitter (TX).
    ...Please send very specific instructions as I have played with this for 20 minutes unsuccessfully - 
    Yes, please turn to page 57 of the user manual:
    http://www.cactus-image.com/Cactus V6 IIs User Manual (EN).pdf

...Additionally, my RF60 continues to work only sometimes. It is very frustrating and embarrassing - what do we do about this?  I did an update 2 months ago when I first got it.  Where do I check again for the firmware - also is there a direct email for you so we can communicate more efficiently and privately -?
    You can check the firmware version by pressing the NEXT button and switching on the flash to ON.

You can find latest firmware information here. Click the Release Notes and you will see what the updates were implemented.
    http://www.cactus-image.com/downloads.html

Email us anytime at info@cactus-image.com

Thank you.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.