My A7rii with V6iis and Canon 580ex & 580exII(with V6ii) can't change flash power

edited October 2016 in V6 IIs Problems
When I using my SONY A7rii with V6iis (as transmitter)(uploaded firmware to  V1.1.002 already )

to remote control my Canon 580ex & 580exII(with V6ii x 2 , as receiver) (uploaded firmware to V1.1.004 already )

I can't control the flash power level on transmitter. 

My first test shot in full power is ok,after that, when I change full power to 1/128 ,then , second shot is actuallyl in full power)

could anyone tell me how to fix?

Comments

• Hello @PaulChen,

What was the distance between the camera and the off-camera flash?
    You can try setting the range to SHORT RANGE on the TX unit if your flash is placed relatively cllose to the camera - say between 10cm to 3 meters.

The default range is set to LONG.

I tested the exact firmware versions on V6 IIs and V6 II and a Canon 580EX and it worked just fine.

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • I am having teh same problem. V6 IIs on a Sony A7rII and a V6II with a Metz 52 on it as RX. The flash fires perfectly fine in terms of sync and so on but doesn't change the power value even though the RX V6II shows the changed value so it can't be a receive problem for sure. What can I do? Tried factory reset and several other things but so far nothing helps... Thank!
  • @JonnnyT
    Please install the latest firmware SON.1.002 released last Sep. 29th, 2017
    Use the Multi-brand Firmware 1.1.012 with your V6II.
  • Hi @lansa301 I think you made a typo and meant to say that for the V6 II, @JonnyT should install either one of the X-TTL firmware versions, Fujifilm or Sigma, on the V6 II.

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • I do have the Versions 1.1.012 (V6ii) and SON 1.002 (V6iis) installed. If I install one of the FUji or SIgma Version, does ot still work with the Canon Version of the Metz 52? And X-TTL sounds like I wanted to use TTL. I don't and would be totally happy if I simply could change the flash power of the V6ii via the V6iis to a manual Setting. Until now I figured out, it might have something to with wrong camera settings on the A7rII. I will check that next.
    Something else I noticed is that in the manual it says set Flash to E-TTL Mode. However when I switch on the V6ii and the Metz is in exactly that mode it immediately changes to E-TTL HSS.
    Thanks for your comments so far, as I said, I'll try your tipp next.
  • I do have the Versions 1.1.012 (V6ii) and SON 1.002 (V6iis) installed. If I install one of the FUji or SIgma Version, does ot still work with the Canon Version of the Metz 52? 
    Yes it will work.

FUJ and SIG, or any of the future X-TTL firmware versions, in RX mode will support all the existing flash systems from the Multi-brand HSS (e.g. 1.1.012).

.. And X-TTL sounds like I wanted to use TTL. I don't and would be totally happy if I simply could change the flash power of the V6ii via the V6iis to a manual Setting. 
    You can change the flash mode under <POWER SETUP>.  There are 3 selections:
    1. MIX TTL / M
    2. TTL ONLY
    3. MANUAL ONLY

Do let us know if you require further assistance. Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• This could be relevant - or not. First, my experience is based on a V6 and not a V6II. I had an old Nikon TTL flash that was working great using a default profile but suddenly stopped responding to power level changes even though the receiver was clearly getting the right level from the transmitter. After trying everything from wiggling the mount to changing profiles, I finally decided to try a fresh set of batteries in the flash despite the fact that the rechargeable ones were recycling fast. That was it!
  • This could be relevant - or not. First, my experience is based on a V6 and not a V6II. I had an old Nikon TTL flash that was working great using a default profile but suddenly stopped responding to power level changes even though the receiver was clearly getting the right level from the transmitter. After trying everything from wiggling the mount to changing profiles, I finally decided to try a fresh set of batteries in the flash despite the fact that the rechargeable ones were recycling fast. That was it!
    That's an interesting encounter. 

The Nikon flash stopped responding to power changes, but did it fire a flash? I suppose it did and that was how you see the power was not changed?

As you adjust the power level by scrolling dial on the V6 TX, as you scroll the Status LED light should blinks green on both the TX and RX as information is being passed processed.  Do you see that?

Also, what was the distance between the camera and the flash? If you are testing it in tight spaces, try setting the work range to SHORT.   Or for testing purposes, simply set your flashes further away and see if it helps?

Batteries... do you have a volt meter?
    What brands are they?
    But then if like you said, the flash recycles quickly, then it should not be the batteries, but the hot shoe connection.  As you may notice, Nikon speedlights have a lot of rotational play on Nikon cameras and similarly on V6's top hot shoe as well.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager