Fuji X-T2 with Elinchrom Skyport-Plus HS (Canon Version)

Hi,

I did some tests with the X-T2 and the Elinchrom Skyport-Plus HS Transmitter, and I'm really happy that it
works perfect both in normal mode and in HSS until the shortest shutter speed of 1/8000 sec.

Well, it really doesn't look very nice with the two boxes on my small Fuji, but it's a good compromise until the point of time,
when Elinchrom probably is willing to support Fuji directly.

The Elinchrom Transmitter has the most recent official FW 1.3 and the CACTUS the last official FW 1.1.005 (2016 Oct-31).

Thanks a lot the guys of Cactus Images for their great support.

Greetings

Uwe

Comments

• Sorry guys, I forgot to mention that I use the Elicnchrom Transmitter with the ELB 400
  • Great news!

Thanks @umeilus for sharing your findings. :)
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Out of interest, are you using the Canon or Nikon version of the Skyport Plus HS transmitter?  From what I've seen, it appears that the best compatibility so far seems to be with Canon transmitters, so I'm interested to see whether this is another example of Canon being the best option to choose when using the V6 II as an HSS-enabler, or whether it really varies by transmitter manufacturer.
  • @paulster, I'm using the Canon version of the Skyport Plus HS transmitter
  • Just to complete this thread, I did some testing today, an ODS setting of 2.6 in the Skyport HS transmitter creates the maximum quantity of light in the above mentioned configuration
  • Hi Umeilus,
    Thanks for sharing your findings. I'm in the same situation as you except that I got a Fuji X-Pro2 and I can't get it to sync higher than 1/200s. and it's driving me a little nuts.

If you would be so kind, I would love to hear more details:

- What flash setting did you use on the Cactus? Auto? Manual Flash?
    - Did you enable "Force HSS"?
    - On the skyport are you enabling HS or Normal? Anything else you need to set on the skyport besides the ODS of 2.6?

Thank you kindly,
    Anthony
  • After applying the most recent FW 1.1.006 the ODS setting of 2.6 didn't work anymore, I had to reduce it
    to 1.2 in order to get rid of the black 'shutter bar' in the bottom of the pictures. Everything else seems to work fine for me so far.
  • Thanks @umeilus for the quick help.

@twansky hope you can set up yours as well.

Keep us posted!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 

• @umeilius thank you for reporting, but could you tell me if it ispossible to control the power output of the elinchrom flash via the cactus system?
  • Hi @patarok

it is possible to control the power output of the elinchrom flash via the cactus system?
    That's not possible.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• edited January 2017
    Hi,

I did some tests with the X-T2 and the Elinchrom Skyport-Plus HS Transmitter, and I'm really happy that it
    works perfect both in normal mode and in HSS until the shortest shutter speed of 1/8000 sec.

Well, it really doesn't look very nice with the two boxes on my small Fuji, but it's a good compromise until the point of time,
    when Elinchrom probably is willing to support Fuji directly.

The Elinchrom Transmitter has the most recent official FW 1.3 and the CACTUS the last official FW 1.1.005 (2016 Oct-31).

Thanks a lot the guys of Cactus Images for their great support.

Greetings

Uwe

Hi.  I have the ELB 400 but I have not gotten it to work on my Fuji.  I am assuming that you mounted the Cactus to your X-T2 and then the SkyPort-Plus on top of the Cactus?  
  • @normanallen, does switching on the Skyport Plus transmitter first, then the camera, then the V6 II to TX mode helps?

Remember to follow the standard procedure for Forced HSS on Fujifilm cameras, similar to this.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hey guys, I'm also a X-T2 owner and wanting to buy the ELB-400. Do you need the Skyport Plus HS along with the cactus or does the Cactus work stand alone with the X-T2 and the ELB-400 anyways? 
  • Hi guys, sorry for my late response. @normanallen and @Berry, yes, you have to mount the Cactus to the camera and the Skyport Plus HS to the top of the Cactus.
  • @umeilus I came here to say that it worked beautifully!  Thank you!  I didn't think it would be so simple.  I'm a very happy camper now.  
  • @normanallen, does switching on the Skyport Plus transmitter first, then the camera, then the V6 II to TX mode helps?

Remember to follow the standard procedure for Forced HSS on Fujifilm cameras, similar to this.

@Antonio yes, it helped and it has worked just fine!  I am very happy and your link was a tremendous help.  
  • Hi, 

Last year I jumped switched from Canon to Fujifilm.  And whilst I was still a Canon user I invested in the Elinchrom ELB 400 system. I have two ELB 400 generators, two Action heads, and two HS heads along with the Skyport Plus HS transmitter to enable the use of the HS heads.

Before switching I did a little research in getting the HS heads working if the Fujifilm X-T2 that I had bought, and that is when I found out about the Cactus V6 II.  Everything seemed simple.

But no. I cannot get it to work.

I've tried the last 3 firmwares for the X-T2. The last 2 firmwares for the Elinchrom gear, and I think the last 3 firmwares for the Cactus.
    But I can't find a combination that works.

When using the HS heads it will only sync properly at 1/250 shutter speed or slower.
    At 1/500 it will light half the scene, the other half if black. Anything more than 1/500 results in an entirely black exposure.
    I've tried various different settings on the Elinchrom transmitter and on the Cactus, but nothing alters the outcome.
    It just keeps on giving me standard sync speed.

Is there something I'm missing?
    Is there someone who could help shed some light on this for me?

TIA,
    Ben
  • Ummm .... soooo ....

After much fail and error and writing my post about an hour ago, I tried again resetting and installing the latest firmware one last time (or so I said to myself) on the Cactus and suddenly everything is working as it should!

Hallelujah!

So, yeah, my previous post can pretty much be disregarded.
  • Amen!!

Thank you for posting an update. Very much appreciated!!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager