Does V6 II HSS Work With X-E2 and RF60s?

Hi Cactus (V6 II) Team,

Upon
further research and reading, I am tending to conclude that the Cactus V6 II DOES
NOT support Fujifilm X-E2 although Cactus V6 II literature generically/categorically says it supports
Fujifilm cameras in their marketing literature.
Just so you know, I have just made a purchase for the Cactus V6 II, and would like to cancel the order (#1196) for the Cactus V6 II (you may ship the rest of the other items in the order) if it is indeed true Cactus V6 II DOES
NOT support Fujifilm X-E2 and with no firmware upgrade available to support it in the foreseeable future. 
Why?
1) I own Fujifilm X-E2 cameras
2) I already own a Cactus V6 and 2 X RF60s

My
only reason to purchase the Cactus V6 II is for HSS support. If this is
not supported for Fujifilm X-E2, then there is no point in making the
investment!
In my opinion, Cactus should be more responsible/forward coming and
publish/update a list of cameras which is supported/not supported, to
take away all the doubt and confusion the generic Fujifilm cameras support claim is causing among customers intend on purchasing the Cactus V6 II.

Regards,
Ken

Comments

• edited September 2016 PM
    kap said:

In my opinion, Cactus should be more responsible/forward coming and publish/update a list of cameras which is supported/not supported, to take away all the doubt and confusion the generic Fujifilm cameras support claim is causing among customers intend on purchasing the Cactus V6 II.

The product description page states

Camera(s) tested that does not support high-speed sync modes on the Cactus V6 II:

- Fujifilm X-E2 (Updated: July 18, 2016)

I guess the note could be more prominent.
  • Hi Class A (does this refer to amp design?)

Absolutely, the note could be more prominent; as I have suggested, a camera supported/unsupported list is certainly a step in the right direction, where potential customers can quickly go to for reference. I am pretty sure Cactus Support/Technical team can manage this fairly easily.

Don't expect customers to read through all the fine print when the broad Marketing pitch claim otherwise. 

Regards,
    Ken
  • kap said:

Hi Class A (does this refer to amp design?)

Yes, exactly. Well spotted! :)

Music and high-end gear have been a passion of mine long before I caught the photography bug.
  • :), Built my own JLH Class A a while back, still working to this day!
    Great sounds.
    Ken
  • edited September 2016 PM
    Cool!

I'm using a Nelson Pass design from his days at Threshold. He did some interesting DIY designs later on.
  • Hi Class A,
    Wow! this going down memory lane, speaking of Nelson Pass, I built his single MOSFET pre-amp to complement the JLH Class A.
    Both works really well as a pair.
    Still enjoying the fruits of my labour until today!
    Regards,
    Ken
  • Awesome!

We better stop the off-topic chatting now, before we get kicked off. :)
  • Hey audiophiles, you are welcome to to continue your chat in the General Discussion section:
    http://www.cactus-image.com/community/categories/general
    kap said:

In my opinion, Cactus should be more responsible/forward coming and
    publish/update a list of cameras which is supported/not supported, to
    take away all the doubt and confusion the generic Fujifilm cameras support claim is causing among customers intend on purchasing the Cactus V6 II.

Thank you for your suggestion @kap
    Like what you and Class A suggested, the list of unsupported cameras can be more prominent.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) and not by X-TTL firmware versions: PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet. 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A01 and A02 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Cactus RF60 is now an off-camera TTL flash with firmware version 205 or later!

Metz M400 (for Fujifilm) is now supported on the Cactus V6 II (HSS and TTL).

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • hi antonio,
    good day. thank you for chiming in.
    hope you can look into this and remedy as brand manager :)
    i like Cactus products, the prompt response and service very much, keep up the good work, team.
    btw, is there any possibility Cactus can release a firmware to make the V6 II HSS work with X-E2.
    that will indeed be godsend (at least for me).
    have a good weekend.
    regards,
    ken

• kap said:

hope you can look into this and remedy ... is there any possibility Cactus can release a firmware to make the V6 II HSS work with X-E2.

Hi Ken, a new firmware is not going to help as the incompatibility is due to hardware and electronics in the V6 II / X-E2. Sorry!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) and not by X-TTL firmware versions: PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet. 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A01 and A02 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • ok, noted, thanks, antonio. regards, ken.
  • Why does my xe-1 work with HSS but not the xe-2
  • Sorry , more details , v6 11 version1.1.001 on camera , not auto detected but manual , hss synced at 1/1000th , forced hss on ,rf 60 version 2.02 , no updates and syncs to 1/4000th straight out of the boxes 99/100 ! Xe-1 with latest software , I do have some questions about the rf 60 starting up and just ticking but I'll ask elsewhere
  • mike_g said:

Why does my xe-1 work with HSS but not the xe-2

As mentioned just couple replies above, it's a hardware issue.
    mike_g said:

... forced hss on ,rf 60 version 2.02

Cool!  But do get the latest firmware on the RF60, it's v2.04 now.
    It fixes various bugs and more reliable.

Thank you!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• if I update can an update be reversed to an earlier version if necessary , at the moment HSS is working on my xe-1 and I'd hate to lose it as it's the main reason for me purchasing an rf60 and v6ii.
  • mike_g said:

... can an update be reversed to an earlier version ...?

Yes, at any time. Just pick the version from the list.

I have just tested V6 II (1.1.005) on an X-E1 (v2.31) and HSS works up to 1/4000s. :)
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Many thanks for sharing, Mike, good to know the set-up works with the X-E1. 
    Ken