V6 II Issues Firing the Nikon SB-900 Flashgun (via Fuji X-Pro2)

Getting frustrated and wondering what I am missing.  Purchased these triggers (qty 3) a few days ago and looking forward to them being my lighting solution on my Fuji X System.  I am coming from Nikon and used the Nikon PW TT5 + TT1 + AC3 combo for years.

Firmware on Camera and Cactus Triggers current as of 11/8/2016.
Setup:  Cactus V6 mk ii on Camera (Auto) (set to Tx); Nikon SB-900 on Cactus mk ii (set to Rx)

Done the setup MULTIPLE times and I can activate the flash if my SB-600 and SB-800 is mounted on the Rx unit BUT not the SB-900.  The SB-900 works just fine on camera or with my Pocketwizard TT5 units.
I can also activate the SB-900 IF I press the 'Test Button' on the Tx Cactus Trigger BUT NOT the shutter of the X-Pro2.  When I press the shutter on the X-Pro2 (with Tx Cactus v6 II mounted) the LED Status indicator on the Rx Cactus v6 ii (with mounted SB-900) blinks confirming the shot but no light/flash.  What gives?

Comments

• Hi @PlateausPeak,

Did you first switch on the SB-900, set it to TTL mode, and then switch the V6 II to RX mode?
    This way the V6 II will be able to auto-detect the flash sytem and apply an AUTO flash profile.

You could also manually select the flash profile under Menu > Flash Setup.

Hope this helps.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) but not by X-TTL firmware versions:  PEN.A.001 NIK.A.001 OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet for an "A" version firmware on the V6 (MK1). 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A04 and A03 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 NIK.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • I did. Seems to work well with my other two flashgun (SB-600 and SB-800)
    I looked at the bottom of all three flashes and there are two 'prongs' where it contacts the hotshot that are present on the working two flashes that are not on the 900. Some specific set up with this flash?
  • I think the two "prongs" are there for external battery supply. In any case it has nothing to do with hot shoe communication.

There are no specific set up with the SB-900, or any Nikon system flashes, that we know of.

Other than the order of switching on the devices:
    1. Switch on the flash
    2. Set it to TTL FP mode
    3. Mount it on the V6 II
    4. Switch V6 II to RX mode
    Can you take a quick snap of your SB-900 mounted on your V6 II after the above steps have been done?

Also, have you tried switching around the V6 II units?

On the X-Pro2, what shutter speed was used?
    Have you tried redoing LEARN HSS? In case it has to do with flash sync timing.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) but not by X-TTL firmware versions:  PEN.A.001 NIK.A.001 OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet for an "A" version firmware on the V6 (MK1). 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A04 and A03 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 NIK.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hi Antonio,
    Sorry for the delay but I had a family event to attend to.
    I have performed thost steps over and over. No issues with SB 600 or SB 800. Just the 900.
    I have learned and relearned HSS as well as just shot under 1/200 to see if it worked. I have switched units with the TX and the same thing happens. The SB 900 has always and still works with my PW TT1+ AC3 and TT5 units.
    The SB 900 works when I press 'test' on the TX too just not on shutter release even if you can see the indicator light go off.
    I have created the world's worst video to show the issue. :) Hope this helps and that you can help me:
  • I caught a glimpse of your fast forward clip that you are running on 1.1.003?
    Could you confirm?

If so please update to the latest 1.1.005.

In case you don't have the Firmware Updater, grab it here: Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Antonio,
    Great eye!!! Your good catch solved my problem!
    I updated and now the SB-900 works just as well as the 600 and 800!
    My issue was not properly understanding the 'CACTUS Updater' utility and thinking that the latest firmware would be presented and all I had to do was click 'Update'. Wrong on my part! I was more careful and got the latest, updated and voila!

Thanks so much.
  • Fantastic news.
    Glad you got it working now.

Yeah, remember to click the "Check for Latest Firmware" button before doing the update. :)
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager