Canon 6d with YN-600ex/Canon 580ex

edited November 2016 in V6 II Problems
I can't get the flash to sync at faster than 1/60 second with either the Canon 580ex or YN-600ex-rt. 

After following all instructions I can find online, trying HSS on, HSS off, power sync, different profiles, all to no avail, and even upgraded firmware on the V6's and the 6d. Still no luck. 

HSS is cool, but 1/160 would be fine by me too... 
I don't really even care to adjust power on my flashes remotely, I just wanted a flash trigger that uses aa, and is reliable. I bought three of these things with intent on buying a few more. 

Any help would be great. I use the flashes for mixed use with weddings, real estate photography, and sometimes will use the triggers to fire my Alienbees. 

Comments

• edited November 2016
    Hi @photogdavid,

I moved you thread to the V6 II section as you originally put it under the Sony version.

Try and follow this start up process:

Do a FACTORY RESET on all V6 II units before proceeding.

FLASH
    1. Switch on the flashes
    2. Set them both to E-TTL mode
    3. Turn on HSS mode on the flash (lightning H symbol)
    4. Mount each flash to a V6 II
    5. Switch on the V6 II to RX mode
    6. Each V6 II will auto-detect the flash system and apply an AUTO flash profile
    7. Once successfully detected, you will see a small C inside the flash icon
    CAMERA
    1. Mount the V6 II on camera hot shoe
    2. Switch on the camera  (your Canon 6D)
    3. Switch on the V6 II to TX mode
    4. At the same time, half-press shutter button (keep camera active)
    5. V6 II TX will auto-detect the camera system
    6. Once detected, you will see a small C inside the camera icon
    7. Go to: Menu > Radio Setup > Work Range > SHORT
    We recommend using SHORT for testing purposes. It is good for distances of 10cm to 3m.

Let me know if following this start up process works.

Thank you!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) but not by X-TTL firmware versions:  PEN.A.001 NIK.A.001 OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet for an "A" version firmware on the V6 (MK1). 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A04 and A03 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 NIK.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • With that setup. 

Flashes fire. 
    1/60 second sync is right
    1/80 second, see curtain line
    1/100/second bright line at top 5% of frame. 
  • That's absurd.

Or maybe this YN flash was programmed differently? Unfortunately we don't have one to test here in the studio, we only have the YN-568EXII and it worked perfectly fine, sync up to 1/4000s.
    1. Does your V6 II RX LCD displays a "C" in the flash icon?
    2. Is the YN-600EX in E-TTL mode?
    Thanks for checking!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

For the time being, Cactus V6 (MK1) running on firmware version 2.1.001 can be triggered by a V6 II (MK2) running on Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) but not by X-TTL firmware versions:  PEN.A.001 NIK.A.001 OLY.A.001.  No schedule has been released yet for an "A" version firmware on the V6 (MK1). 

Cactus RF60X / RF60 Firmware versions A04 and A03 currently ONLY works with PEN.A.001 NIK.A.001 and OLY.A.001.  Other "A" version of X-TTL firmware will be released soon. For both Multi-brand HSS and X-TTL firmware versions (FUJ, SIG, SON), install firmware version 103 / 205 on your RF60X / RF60.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • It's not showing the C for the flash on the transmitter side with the YN600 attached. 

It is now working with both 580ex's and it seems to work well with speeds all speeds. Glad to see they do at least work.  

• It's not showing the C for the flash on the transmitter side with the YN600 attached. 

It is now working with both 580ex's and it seems to work well with speeds all speeds. Glad to see they do at least work.  

Oh, that means the V6II is having problem detecting it as a Canon flash.

Did you try swtiching on the flash first and set it to E-TTL - then, switching on the V6 II to TX mode? If not, do a factory reset and repeat.

If the V6 II fails to detect the YN600 as Canon - no C symbol popping in the flash icon, either TX or RX, then there's no point in even taking a shot on the camera - it simply won't work.

You could try manually selecting another Canon profile but I doubt that would work either.

Sorry but until we get our hands on a YN600 we can't verify compatibility.

To that note, the V6 II is suppose to work with all Canon system flash models. Considering Yongnuo is known for duplicating what the originals had, if we assume Yongnuo kept their traditions then the YN600 should be compatible - but right now, that does not seems to be the case...
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Thank you for your help. I could send you one if you need to test. Not sure if that's something you want/care to do, but I'd be willing for the greater cause. 
  • Wow. Thanks for offering your help, @photogdavid!
    Actually we are up for it if you don't mind sending us your YN-600EX.
    We will post it back to you by registered airmail after studying it. 
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager