Is my V6ii broken?

Hi there,

I've been using a Cactus V6 MkI and an RF60 flash for about a year now.
No issues whatsoever. The flash was triggered reliably every time, all the time.
Adjusting flash power from the V6 MkI was fast and reliable as well.

Now with the new V6 MkII I get all kind of connection problems between V6 MkII and the RF60 unit.
Even in very simple test scenarios. I.e. when used without a camera. Just fire up the RF60 then the V6 MkII and change flash power and hit the test button a few times to pop the flash.
In about 5 out of 10 test fires the flash doesn't fire at all. Changing flash power is slow and sluggish.
Rapid changing of the flash power wheel on the V6 MkII is sure to break the communication and the flash cannot be triggered at all anymore until powered off and on again.

Batteries in all units are fresh and full.
I tried a number of different radio channels - same result.
Latest firmware on all units.
All units reset to factory settings prior to test.

So, considering that the V6 MkI gives me 100% success with the very same flash and the V6 MkII has a 50% change of not firing the flash, am I correct in assuming that I got a faulty V6 Mk II unit?

Cheers,

Robin

Comments

• Update:
    Setting "Work Range" to "Short" on the V6 Mk II seems to improve the situation quite a lot.
    With "Work Range" to "Short" it seems to be back to close to 100% success rate.

Cheers,

Robin
  • Hey Robin, thanks for the update.

I am glad to hear by setting the work range to SHORT addressed the misfireing issues.

Maybe we should have SHORT as default. And for those who occassionally need to set the flash to really long distances, say 10m plus, then they can adjust it to LONG.

Here's our recommendation for the Work Ranges:
    1. Short: 10 cm to 3 meters  (4" to 10')
    2. Long:  3 to 100 meters  (10' to 328')
    FYI, in previous tests on an open field, we were able to trigger nearly 100m (328') in Short, and over 400m (437 yards) in Long. But because you may use in indoor or at location with other radio interferences, structures, etc, we set a much lower distance reference for the two work ranges.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.