How to get HSS working? RF60 off camera - V6II - Fuji XT1

I have the XT1 with the V6II mounted on top.  Triggering two RF60 flashes works fine, but I have trouble to get the HSS working. There's the classic black band I can't get rid off. Watched a few tutorials, read some articles but there's always some information missing.

Latest firmware installed on all devices.

V6II
Firmware 1.1.006
Sync mode to Normal Sync (also tried Power sync)
Other setting in menu "Functions" are turned off
Camera and flash set to Auto
Power mode relative

2 x RF60
Triggered wirelessly
Mode S
Group A
Channel 1
When I press the Multi/HSS button it switches on the display between "A" and "Multi 1-- 1Hz". There's no way how to activate HSS on S mode?

Anyway, flash triggers, but alway with black part of photo (shutter at 1/500 or 1/1000)

Somewhere I read the VSII menu going in a mode to "train or learn" the camera by shooting at 1/1000th - but couldn't figure out where to find that in the menu.

Advice is very welcome

Comments

• Correction: On the V6II I did also put the camera system on Fuji and did manage to get the 'learn at 1/1000th' menu which I executed. But I still do have black bands?
  • edited December 2016
    ...When I press the Multi/HSS button it switches on the display between "A" and "Multi 1-- 1Hz". There's no way how to activate HSS on S mode?

Don't press the "HSS / Multi" button on the back of the RF60.
    That's for using optical triggering for HSS.

Default setting on the RF60 after a firmware update already turns on HSS. You can check but going into Menu > AU HSS > ON.

Did your V6 II auto-detect the camera as Fujifilm? - do you see a F in the camera icon? Remember to half-press shutter button on the camera as you switch V6 II to TX mode.

Hope this helps!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Pretty frustrating

So I got a second trigger and there the F is showing in the camera icon when I turn it on.
    However, camera and flash are detected, but when I take a photo, the flash doesn't go off. When I try the test button on the V6II, it does work.

On the first unit, the F icon doesn't show but the flash does fire when taking a photo. But no HSS here.

The RF60 is having the latest firmware. AU HSS is indeed automatically ON.

I have no clue where to a F in the camera icon. So no, I don't see that. I do half press the shutter on the camera as described. Did also reset to factory settings.

Thank you for your assistance, but unfortunately it's not helping.
  • ...On the first unit, the F icon doesn't show but the flash does fire when taking a photo. But no HSS here.
    Did you push in on the Adjustment Dial to turn on Forced HSS.

Here's a check list for Fujifilm users:
    1. Has the hot shoe metal spring plate been removed?
    2. Did
      the V6 II auto-detect the camera as Fujifilm by half-pressing the
      camera shutter button while switching the V6 II to TX mode?  Make sure
      to securely mount the V6 II on the camera hot shoe.
    3. Try re-doing the LEARN HSS process in case it actually failed in recording the timing on the first run.
    4. Before shooting above camera's x-sync speed (1/250s on the X-T2), manually switch ON Forced HSS by pushing the Adjustment Dial.
    5. Similarily, before shooting at or below camera's x-sync speed (1/250s on the X-T2), manually switch OFF Forced HSS by again pushing the Adjustment Dial.
    6. Make sure both the V6 II are running on the firmware version
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "FUJ.1.002", "NIK.A.001", "v.103".

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.