Using a light meter and a Nikon SB900 triggered with a v6ii

Since using Cactus V6II triggers I have difficulties with proper light measurements using my Sekonic L-358.
With daylight I get proper measures, but in the evening I only get f2 with whatever setting the flash is firing. 
Time to do some rigorous testing. 

First test, wireless triggering a Nikon SB900 in TTL. I only get f2 on my light meter. 
Second test, triggering a Nikon SB900 in TTL using a PC sync cable between the cactus and light meter. The cactus is triggered, but no flash.
Third test, wireless triggering a Nikon SB900 in Manual. I only get f2 on my light meter.
I realized I hearing the flash popping twice. So we have a pre-flash being measured by the light meter, despite setting the flash in manual mode. Damn...... 

Fourth test, wireless triggering a Yongnuo YN560 IV, a full manual flash. I get a good reading!!
Fifth test, triggering a Yongnuo YN560 IV using a PC sync cable between the cactus and light meter. Yes! A good reading.

Final test, wireless triggering a SB900 in manual. This time I set the RX Cactus profile on manual flash.
Bam!! Good reading!! I can now even trigger with a PC sync cable.

So, when using a light meter and Nikon SB900's, the Cactus V6II must be set on a manual profile and can only act as a trigger.
A bit of a disappointment not being able to use remote power control on flashes like the SB900's.   

Comments

• edited February 2017
    I would prefer remote power control without preflashes as well, but bear in mind that almost all light meters do not support HSS anyhow.

The V6II is specifically meant to support HSS and if your focus is on non-HSS photography and using a light meter, perhaps the V6 would be a better choice? The V6 never employs pre-flashes (to the best of my knowledge) and hence supports light metering.
  • I don't understand why light meter companies won't have a setting to skip pre-flashes? Since it is super simple to implement. Hmm...
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • I moved to the Cactus RF60X with the V6II. Remote power control and no pre-flash. 

• Hi ravman
    I moved to the Cactus RF60X with the V6II. Remote power control and no pre-flash. 

Yes, this setup works too! :)

As for Light Meter models that support HSS, I was advised by SEKONIC Japan that their new models will work, the L-858D.  Has anybody tried?
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.