Canon EOS 5D IV compatibility issue

Hello,

yesterday I tried the Cactus V6 II on the Canon 5D MK IV. There is no AF assist light on the MK IV, however it works fine with the MK III. I also had trouble with switching to TTL mode (with or our without a flash), most of the time it gave me an error (I think it didn't find a compatible device). Please also see my thread in the Cactus V6 forum.

Comments

• I forgot to say, the Canon EX 430 flash was on top of the Cactus V6 (TTL passthrough or manual).
  • Hey there,

Yes there is indeed an issue with V6 II not registering AF assist light signals from a 5D Mark IV. Unfortunately this cannot be fixed due to hardware.

Responded your other thread about 5D3 with TTL pass through.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Thank you for your answer!

TTL passthrough works with the Canon 5D MK IV + Cactus V6 II + Canon 430 EX flash on top of Cactus, but even my flash doesn't give me an AF assist light. Is it possible to fix that or is it the same scenario basically (the V6 II not registering AF assist light signals and not passing to the flash)?

• Sorry, I have to correct myself. While ISO 100 looked fine, I switched to higher ISO, like 1600 and the image was overexposed. The TTL data are not correct.
  • I also tested Cactus V6 II with the Canon 5D MK III right now and it gave me overexposed images at higher ISOs in TTL passthrough mode.
  • Cactus V6 II + 5D3 TTL passthrough – overexposed images, AF assist light is okay
    Cactus V6 II + 5D4 TTL passthrough – overexposed images, AF assist light is missing
  • Thanks for the additional info.

BTW, did you use auto-detect on the TX unit? Or you manually selected both the camera system and the flash system + profile?

Would use auto-detect for both help?
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Also, could it be that ISO1600 was too high and the image would overexposured even with lowest flash output?

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hello! I tried different settings both for the camera and flash system (Canon 5D IV + Canon 430 EX + Cactus V6 II this time). The camera system has to be Canon, otherwise the camera doesn't flash. Choosing different flash profiles or flash systems doesn't really changes the result, the image was SOMETIMES overexposed. (Have to be careful, because just by holding the menu button for 2 seconds and switching to TTL mode isn't stored permanently, when I turn off and on the Cactus V6 II, that setting is cleared and the TTL setting in Functions is valid only).

ISO 1600 is not a problem as I regularly use it and using the flash in manual mode around 1/64 or 1/32 gives perfect exposure at certain light conditions.

What I noticed this time, that the exposure was inconsistent, I had overexposed and normally exposed images, too. I switched from ISO 100 to ISO 1600 and in-between regularly in TTL mode. When I tried only the flash (without the Cactus) on the camera body, the exposure was consistent.

*** I also have to note that I dropped the flash at the last wedding, the first time when I used the Cactus V6 II. I cannot even exclude that this influences my results unfortunately, unless the flash will always work fine on my camera body only.
  • Okay, I checked that even before the flash drop I had overexposed images. Maybe just wrong contact (inconsistency might be a sign of that). I've just used contact spray and didn't have problem during my short test. I cannot confirm that my problem is related to the Cactus V6 II, however it is worth testing on your side.

Regarding the AF assist light on Canon 5D MK IV, I can manually turn on the AF light in the Cactus V6 II. Isn't it possible to get the signal in TTL mode, like with the Canon 5D MK III?  Will it be possible only with hardware changes on your side (Cactus V7)? I bought the Cactus V6 II just because of the AF assist light. Until now I used sometimes a Yongnuo YN-622C-TX on top of the Cactus V6 I just for the AF assist light (when there was no flash on the camera). Of course if you cannot make work the Cactus V6 II AF asist light with the Canon 5D4 is not a tragedy, I will use it only with my 5D3.
  • update: I might have found a bug of a possible cause for my problems:

1. If I set TTL passthrough ON in the Functions menu in TX mode, then I put the Cactus V6 II in RX mode, then this setting is changed back to OFF, when I put it back in TX mode.

2. As the manual says, "To enable the TTL pass-through in the V6 II TX, press and hold for 2 seconds" - It should be noted that this is not a permanent setting, which we lose after turning off the Cactus. Only the TTL setting in Functions is considered permanent. I don't know if this is intentional or not.

Of course, when my flash is set to TTL and the Cactus is not, I get overexposed images.
  • That is correct, you have to enable it at every power cycle.

Of course, when my flash is set to TTL and the Cactus is not, I get overexposed images.
    This sounds normal if you don't have TTL Pass Through switched on. 

So all the doubts is answered now.

FYI we could not replciate your findings.

Just make sure you switched on TTL Pass Through on the TX unit before starting to shoot.

Thank you for your efforts in troubleshooting.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Regarding the AF assist light on Canon 5D MK IV, I can manually turn on the AF light in the Cactus V6 II. Isn't it possible to get the signal in TTL mode, like with the Canon 5D MK III?  Will it be possible only with hardware changes on your side (Cactus V7)? I bought the Cactus V6 II just because of the AF assist light. Until now I used sometimes a Yongnuo YN-622C-TX on top of the Cactus V6 I just for the AF assist light (when there was no flash on the camera). Of course if you cannot make work the Cactus V6 II AF asist light with the Canon 5D4 is not a tragedy, I will use it only with my 5D3.
    It's a hardware issue, so yeah, only the future V7 would be able to address this issue.

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Okay, I got everything now! I have to be careful that TTL passthrough is turned on.

My only question: is that normal that I lose the TTL passthrough ON setting by switching to RX mode and back to TX? Will this be fixed? Also holding the menu button for 2 seconds is only a temporary change in TTL passthrough mode (until I turn off the Cactus V6 II), it might be confusing. The Cactus V6 I stores this setting permanently.
  • Thanks @weigertj, seems like a bug.

I was advised that a power cycle should still remember your last selection of TTL Pass Through.

We will fix it on the next firmware version.

Thank you!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• edited April 2017
    Thank you, Antonio.

One more note: the Canon 5D MK IV + Cactus V6 I + Yongnuo YN-622C-TX on top of the Cactus V6 I gives AF assist light. The V6 I passes the AF assist light signal for the Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. The V6 II doesn't do this. Of course, the Yongnuo YN-622C-TX without the Cactus also provides me with an AF assist light.

Thus old stuff handles the Canon 5D IV AF assist light signal. I know that the Dual Pixel Auto Focus changed things with the 5D MK IV, I still hope you can make the Cactus V6 II work somehow with the 5D MK IV. :)
  • ... The V6 I passes the AF assist light signal for the Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. The V6 II doesn't do this...

The reason is, V6 MK1's TTL Pass Through is hard-wired, whilst V6 MK2's is virtual (by software).
    ... I still hope you can make the Cactus V6 II work somehow with the 5D MK IV. :)
    This will be a sad "no", unfortunately.

Only a major hardware overhaul will be about to cure this so to speak, so we will get this AF issue sorted on the next generation, Cactus V7.

Thank you in advance for your understanding.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Thanks for your answer, Antonio!
  • weigertj said:

I also tested Cactus V6 II with the Canon 5D MK III right now and it gave me overexposed images at higher ISOs in TTL passthrough mode.

I can't make to work Cactus V6 II with 5D Mark III . I have the newest firmware. Can you help me with some ideas ?

Thank you in advance!
  • digibrain said:

weigertj said:

I also tested Cactus V6 II with the Canon 5D MK III right now and it gave me overexposed images at higher ISOs in TTL passthrough mode.

I can't make to work Cactus V6 II with 5D Mark III . I have the newest firmware. Can you help me with some ideas ?

Thank you in advance!
    What firmware version is installed on your V6 II?

If you do not intend to use the transmitter with other non-Canon cameras, then you should install firmware version: CAN.A.xxx.

For TTL Pass Through, did you hold down V6 II's menu button for 2 seconds to enable it?

If you are still using Multi-brand HSS firmware (e.g. 1.1.013) refer to this video:

If you are already using X-TTL firmware, e.g. CAN.A.001, then skip to 6:48.

Hope this helps!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager