V6 II and Canon 580ex II remote power and zoom head adjustment

hello, i have my canon 580ex ii on a cactus v6 ii and i choose canon then chose 580ex and every thing seems to be recognized, flash is in manual mode and is firing but when i try to adjust the power or zoom head remotely from the transmitter, all i see are the settings on the receiver's lcd changing, nothing on the flash changes. any suggestions? thanks

Comments

• Flash should be in ETTL mode.

Failing that, let the V6 II automatically find your 580ex ii flash. And finally, turn on camera first, hold shutter release ½ down, then turn on camera mounted V6 II.
    good luck
  • Yep, flash needs to be in E-TTL mode.

Everything you need to set up the V6 II is printed on the Quick Start Guide.  It's only a one-page double-sided print out but most people still do not read them... Alas...
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • thx doug and antonio.

i did take a look at the guide and it looks like the cactus recognizes the flash but i wanted the ability to change the power - if i put the flash in e-ttl then i don't see how i can control the power (or zoom head) remotely?
  • ok doug and antonio, your advice is helping, i just tried ettl mode - there's no power display on the flash's lcd but it appears that whatever power i set on the cactus display is what's being put out, i do see the zoom head setting on the flash changing as i adjust remotely. thx again guys - much appreciated as i build up my cactus system
  • Sure no problem.

Most flash model's LCD do not display the power set remotely by the V6 / V6 II.

The flash needs to be in E-TTL mode as that's how it can communicated.  What you need to check is if the Receiver unit display on the V6 / V6 II shows the adjusted power / zoom.

Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Question 1: Why is the zoom of the flashes not reacting or changing based on the changing of the Cactus on the Camera?
    Question 2: Why is the aperture (F) on the flashes not changing based on the setting in the camera?
    I was expecting that the Cactus can control these settings for these Canon equipment.
    Setup:
    Camera Canon 80D
    3 off Cactus V6 II All with firmware 1.1.013
    2 off Canon Speedlight’s type 580EX II
    1 off Cactus V6 II in hot shoe Camera, in TX mode
    Both Speedlight’s are on top of each own Cactus V6 II
    Start-up Session always:
    First Camera switched on and then Cactus in TX mode.
    First Flash switched on and then Cactus in RX mode.
    Flashers are in ETTL mode.
    I have checked all the settings. I have mixed all tree in different positions (both in RX and TX mode).

I appreciate all your reactions.
    Thanks in advance.