mix & match?

Recently bought a couple Olympus cameras. I have the OMD e Mark 1 & 2. I have a bunch of canon speedlites from earlier. Can I control those from the oly bodies with your Cactus V6 II.

Thanks

Comments

• Yes you can.

You can remotely control your Canon speedlights mounted on V6 II (RX) using the V6 II (TX) on Olympus camera, both in zoom range and power output settings. 

Please just note that you may have to remove the metal spring plate from camera hot shoe for a consistent connection with the V6 II (TX).

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Antonio, just for clarity, for the moment (until a later firmware is released for Nikon), the control of remote speed lights will be manual control only (not TTL) ?
  • Antonio, just for clarity, for the moment (until a later firmware is released for Nikon), the control of remote speed lights will be manual control only (not TTL) ?
    Yes, if you shoot on Nikon, for now there's only the "Multi-brand HSS" firmware, which does not support wireless TTL.  It only supports wireless HSS.

Thank you.
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Hi, I have a canon 5D Mark III with the 430EX and 580 flashes. I also have the Fuji XT2 with only the flash that came with the camera. I am interested in buying a transceiver system that will allow me to mix and match. Also as I am new to off camera flash, I'd prefer something easy to use. I am looking at the Cactus V6 II. If I buy two transceivers can I:

1) Use on both my Fuji and Canon cameras
    2) Use Canon flashes for my Fuji camera
    3) Use my Fuji flashes (once I get them) on either camera

I see lots of questions about the firmware. If it is possible to do the above, how would I need to set up each transceiver.

• edited August 2017
    The questions is:
    Do you need remote TTL on both systems?
    At this moment, the remote TTL is available to FUJI using the X-TTL Firmware.
    The Canon version is on the road map but not yet available.
    If you need swap your remote controllers from one brand to another and have HSS you can get it using the crossbranding Firmware.
    Please note that you will need additional steps to get HSS on the FUJI system using the crossbranding Firmware.
    Two units is the minimum to begin, but you will like to use all flashes at same time (Two Canon and one FUJI) so you will need one unit on the camera and one unit to each flash.
    When the Canon X-TTL firmware is released, maybe you will want to use remote TTL on both systems, so you will need two units as Tx for each system.
    If you are planning to buy more flashes, you can consider the Cactus RF-60X. The receiver is built in and you can use it as off-camera flash with any of your systems.
    Short:
    One V6II for each flash.
    One V6II for the camera if you do not need remote TTL.
    Or,
    Two V6II, one for each camera, if you are planning to use remote TTL.
  • edited August 2017
    Hi @terrimls,

If you want something easy to use, you should install the latest X-TTL firmware for Fujifilm (FUJ.1.002 or newer) when you use it on the X-T2.

The Multi-brand HSS firmware also works, and allows you to swap between cameras (Fujifilm and Canon). However, when using on Fujifilm camera you need to do <LEARN HSS> and manually turn on <FORCED HSS>. Personally I don't recommend it and it's better to use the FUJ firmware whenever you have a Fujifilm camera as the firmware is system-specific. 

All that said, buying 2 units will work. I would suggest 3, one for Canon camera and one for Fujifilm cameras, and the last one is for the off-camera flash.  You will need one V6 II unit per device (camera / flash).

In the meantime you may refer to the Quick Start Guides.

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Hi thank you for your comments. It sounds like I need a unit for each camera and each flash. I'm assuming the firmware is only on the sending side and the receiving side can use the cross brand? Also I do want TTL for both Fuji and Canon. Do you know when Canon will be available? thanks!
  • Yes, you need one V6 II per device.

Any one of the X-TTL firmware (except Sony) is still a Multi-brand HSS + Multi-brand TTL when it is in RX mode.  So if you have a Canon 600EX-RT, install all your V6 II with the FUJ.1.002 X-TTL firmware, and it will work with the Canon flash, or a Nikon, Panasonic, Olympus, Fujifilm, flash. 

Canon, not anytime soon. 
    Pentax is next, then Oly / Panasonic, then Nikon and finally Canon. 

Thank you!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager