Intermittent firing

Hi everyone,. I'm using multiple Cactus V6 transceivers firmware 2.1.001. My cameras are both Canon - one 1D-X and one 7DII. The flashes I'm using are 2 Canon 430EXII set to TTL mode. The problem I have exists with both cameras. I follow my checklist in which I turn on the transceiver attached to the camera via hotshoe to TX mode; then, turn on camera. I turn on one flash and then turn on the transceiver onto which it's mounted to RX mode. Then, same with second flash. Everything works as expected. If I take another image, it will likely work again, and maybe again - maybe not. If it doesn't work, I rectify the problem by powering the Cactus transceiver and camera down, repower it and push the shutter button. It always works without fail after the reset, but then it will be just a matter of time til the problem reoccurs. I know how to fix the problem, but I don't know how to prevent it. I sure would appreciate some help. Thanx in advance.  ..   Ken

Comments

• Hi Ken, 

Could you confirm whether corresponding flash profile has been selected on the V6 where the 430EXII are mounted on?

Thank you.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Yes Antonio. I've selected Canon 430EX*. Any ideas? 
  • Too we do not have any 430EXII left in our studio so we cannot test for you.

The closest thing we've got is the 580EXII, which I just tested triggering it from a 1DX. 100% success rate.

I used various shutter speeds from 1/60s to 1/250s, between F4 to F11, at ISO 200, using 24-70mm F2.8L, auto-focus on. Power was between 1/128 to 1/32.

One idea is to check the hot shoe connection, more so on the transmitter side because as you shoot, the transmitter may become loose and slide out of alignment. As you release the shutter button, you should also see a green LED status light on the TX unit.  

If you see a green LED but the flash did not trigger then it could be a problem with either:
    1. Wireless / RF communication between V6 units
    2. V6 RX unit's communication with the speedlight (hot shoe / hardware)
    3. Possible speedlight issue: recycling time, software / functions

Hope the above helps. Please keep us posted.

Thanks!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen.