Pentax K-1 + V6 II TX can't control RF60X attached with TTL pass-through disabled

Hi, everyone,
I have recently bought a flash RF60X to be used with Pentax K-1, Cactus V6 II and a second flash Pentax.
I found a problem: if I want to control RF60X attached on V6 II TX with TTL pass-through disabled, it doesn't work properly, and instead shoots a weak flash. Could this problem be solved by an update?

Comments

  • edited July 5
    Are you using the RF60X on top of the V6II?

    The RF60X is not meant to be an on-camera flash (even if there is an intermediate trigger between the camera and RF60X).

    You'll probably still be able to control and fire an RF60X mounted directly on the V6II but you'll have to set the V6II's "WORK RANGE" to "SHORT".

    You'll probably also have to insulate the centre pin on the RF60X against the hot-shoe. A piece of paper slipped into the hot-shoe does the trick.

    My recommendation would be to get the RF60X and the other flash working off-camera first and then move the RF60X on the V6II (if you have to). You'll have to keep the RF60X in radio slave mode and say in group "A". You won't be able to properly control it otherwise, unless you want to operate it manually and do all settings using the flash controls themselves.
  • edited July 5
    Class A said:

    Are you using the RF60X on top of the V6II?

    Yes
    Class A said:

    The RF60X is not meant to be an on-camera flash (even if there is an intermediate trigger between the camera and RF60X).

    At page 15 of the user's manual it is intended to be used on camera as Local or Master, it works perfectly on both operating mode. The table shows that Slave mode is designed for off-camera use.
    Class A said:

    You'll probably still be able to control and fire an RF60X mounted directly on the V6II but you'll have to set the V6II's "WORK RANGE" to "SHORT".

    I think there's no need, if i mount my RF60X on a backet or even at few millimeters from the V6 II's hot shoe with no contact, as Slave it works regularly.
    Class A said:

    You'll probably also have to insulate the centre pin on the RF60X against the hot-shoe. A piece of paper slipped into the hot-shoe does the trick.

    I've tried with a plastic strip, but it is enough that any metal part of the mount touches the V6 II's hot shoe to make the weak burst happen.

    Meanwhile I bought a bracket in order to have my fill light flash assemblied with the camera. At the moment I'm using Manual RF60X in a softbox as key light and TTL AF540FGZ II on the V6 II as fill light (TTL because I can't measure output with a lightmeter due to the pre-flash). When I'll have a second RF60X, I'll work mainly in Manual mode.

  • The hot shoe triggering of the RF60X has been disabled in S mode by design. In your setup, we recommend switching the RF60X to L mode and configure the power level on the flash panel.
  • Admin said:

    The hot shoe triggering of the RF60X has been disabled in S mode by design. In your setup, we recommend switching the RF60X to L mode and configure the power level on the flash panel.

    In other words you're suggesting to use the RF60X in manual mode only... my demand is to use the on-camera flash as fill light TTL, while the main light is on a stand and adjusted in manual mode with a lightmeter.
  • Chernobog said:


    In other words you're suggesting to use the RF60X in manual mode only..

    Yes, because RF60X only works as an off-camera TTL flash. When on-camera, it is a manual flash. We understand such a product specification has its limitation and you are trying to workaround this limitation. But we are afraid this is not going to work.

    Please consider the possibilities in using Manual flash as the fill light on-camera with the existing equipment.


  • Thanks for your help.
    I'm trying to workaround because I've quitted using my Pentax flash mounted on the V6 II (its hot shoe mount is desitined to break). As I've mentioned I've bought a bracket to support RF60X.
  • Yes, without directly mounted to the hot shoe, you can just take RF60X as another slave. Since the distance between the TX and RX is so short, better use SHORT RANGE in the V6 II setting if you find any misfiring in due course.
Sign In or Register to comment.