Group Seq. + Channels problem

sorry for my bad english. I use 3 V6 as studio flash receivers (2 in group A, 1 in group B). I use one V6 as a transmitter on my Canon 5DM2 with group sequence.
I use the trigger cable or control of USB. The GroupSeq is set to A-B-C-D mode (C and D - disabled). Regardless of the selected channel on all 4 V6, the transmitters do not provide stable operation: then not one of them will triggered; then the A group will trigged although no one has triggered before (second shoot); only one of the A group will triggered.
When i disable GroupSeq - all triggers work fine, but before you need to restart the transmitter
Help solve the problem

Comments

• Only after 2-4 I press the "test button", the RX and TX 4-8 times work fine. But after that they will stop working again.

• an example shows that: 33 frames - group A. 34 and 35 frames are simply black, none of the receivers worked. For 2 shutter actuations - 0 RX activations. 36 frame - group B

• Its worked for a bit and then the black hole started, until I press the "test" button several times with my hands.
  • I purchased 4*cactus v6 only because of the GroupSeq mode, please return me the money
  • Hello alexunderboots,

1) Please check your firmware version on all the V6 units. Check firmware version by pressing A and D at the same time, while switching on the V6 to either TX or RX mode.
    2) If the V6 firmware is 2.1.001, please use the Cactus Firmware Updater software to change the firmware version to 1.1.019.

An issue is found on the 2.1.001 firmware on the Group Sequence function. Please change it to other firmware versions for testing. For your information, we have just tested the function with 1.1.019 and the Group Sequence function works without the same issue.

Please try and get back to us.

Best regards,
    Cactus Support Team
  • firmware - V61.A.003
    Today I will test with other firmware
  • with 2.1.001 - all shoots are black ((((((( but flashes fire in the correct order
    with 1.1.019 - the series is constantly interrupted and instead of group B, group A is started
  • at 8 presses of the shutter button, group B is turned on only once
  • it took 105 photos to get 64 correct photos with GroupSeq. it seems that the 2-second window in the firmware 1.1.019 lasts less than one second
    added trigger cable - yes, the time window is less than a second ((((((
  • edited July 4

with 2.1.001 - all shoots are black ((((((( but flashes fire in the correct order

This is a good starting point. The black 'shots' can be explained possibly by two reasons:

1) The shutter speed is consistently above x-sync. If the test results were shoot in high sync shutter speed, please test again within the x-sync shutter speed. V6 does not support HSS.

Moreover, I would suggest testing the shoots in an "all manual" mode (i.e., setting flash mode, camera exposure to manual).

2) Triggering the camera by shutter cable or other wireless shutter may delay the respond a bit. That may cause mis-sync between camera shutter and flash. Please try using the shutter button for the test first. Only if you succeed in sync the flash and camera in Group Sequence mode, then you could try triggering the camera further by external shutter cable or remote.

Best regards,
    Cactus Support Team
  • at 8 presses of the shutter button, group B is turned on only once

Did you fire the 8 shoots consecutively? If so, did you make sure that the flash is fully charged at the time you fire?

We can tell that group B is fired at a very big power (in order to produce the "profile" effect). Would it be the case that the flash in group B is not fully recharged at the 4th and 6th shots, if the shots were made immediately after one another?

Best regards,
    Cactus Support Team
    1+2. shutter speed 1/100 sec + shutter button = black shoots
  • Admin said:

at 8 presses of the shutter button, group B is turned on only once

Did you fire the 8 shoots consecutively? If so, did you make sure that the flash is fully charged at the time you fire?

We can tell that group B is fired at a very big power (in order to produce the "profile" effect). Would it be the case that the flash in group B is not fully recharged at the 4th and 6th shots, if the shots were made immediately after one another?

Best regards,
    Cactus Support Team
    I am completely confident in studio flashes, since I hear a sound confirmation of their full disruption, they operate at reduced power and the time for full charge is less than 0.5 second

Group B also has a sound confirmation of its complete disruption, they operate at reduced power and the time of full charge is less than 0.5 second

as I wrote above - the main problem is that on firmware 1.1.019 the time interval does not correspond to the 2 seconds you declared. Since the serial shooting problems with the work of group B is not
  • edited July 4
    ..... you still have something to say?

Checked the 1.0.019 once more, the timeout is exactly at 2 second. It is strange that in your test it is less than 1 second.

Having ruled out the charging status issue, we are still questioning whether the inconsistency is caused by the delay by the external trigger cable. Can you test the scenarios once more by pressing the camera shutter instead? We have to rule this factor out as well.

Best regards,
    Cactus Support Team
  • edited July 4
    I will prepare a video
  • Thanks. Will have a look when available.

Just right now, we have tested the 1.0.019 with a Canon 7D triggered by camera shutter. We did not the misfiring issue. We set Group Sequence to A-B-C-D and turned off C-D group. The A and B shots were fired at an 1 sec interval.

Best regards,
    Cactus Support Team

• Good afternoon, I photographed the stopwatch when using a USB cable and as you can see the time interval is less than 2 seconds, but very close to them.

video https://cloud.mail.ru/public/5rT3/4jqHJ6KAD
  • Thanks for the video clip showing your set up.

You command the camera shutter with the use of a Yongnuo trigger. Since both system may conflict with each other, the group sequence may not run well. Both system work in 2.4GHz frequency and may cause a delay of the flash trigger (that explains why some of the shots got fired but not in sync).

You may try an alternative set up. Use one Cactus V6 as transmitter, and set both the transmitter and the on-camera V6 in Relay Mode. That would minimize the interference of RF transmission between different RF systems.

The timeout period of 2 second of the Group Sequence is a rough figure. We need to 'steal' some time to get prepared for the V6 to run on the re-started group sequence, and hence the difference.

Best regards,
    Cactus Support Team
  • Good day.
    1. You were inattentive: "Yongnuo trigger" ≠ "USB trigger", "I photographed the stopwatch when using a USB cable and as you can see the time interval is less than 2 seconds, but very close to them". Therefore, 2 paragraphs of your text are not related to the solution of the problem.
    2. In the documentation there is a description of the time interval and it doesn’t seem to equal "is a rough figure". Please release the firmware update corresponding to the stated characteristics before July 15
  • You seem to point out two issues when using the V6 in your setup.
    1) The flash is not constantly triggered.
    2) The time out of the GROUP SEQUENCE is a bit less than 2 sec.

Are you suggesting that 1) and 2) is related?

For issue 1), judging from your setup, it may be caused by the use of another 2.4GHz wireless trigger as wireless shutter release. Have you changed your set up to verify if that is true?

For issue 2), i'm afraid there is nothing that we can do. The measurement of the actual timeout varies, depending on the measurement apparatus. We cannot revise our firmware to actualize the exact timeout value as accurate as measured by your method, since we are using a different timer to determine the actual time.

The same is true, even when defining the time in our DELAY function, in which we are talking about the differences in ms.

If the issue 1) found in your setup is entirely caused by 2), I'm afraid that there is nothing that we could do at the moment.

Thank you for your understanding.