Nikon SB _80dx

Okay here's my situation I have the cactus V6 I was finally able to get it to learn my Nikon SB 80 DX.

I have a bronica gs-1 film camera that has a speed grip on it with a hot shoe when I put one of the cactus V6 is on there and I put my Nikon flash on the other transceiver I am able to push the button to cause it to fire but when I trigger my camera it will not fire The Flash it only works when I push the test button can't seem to figure out how to make it fire.

Do I need a sync cord running from my camera into the cactus V6?

Comments

• With the V6 mounted on camera hot shoe, when you take a shot, do you see the status LED blink green?  If there's signal going though it will blink green. 

If you mount the SB-80DX directly on camera, set it to M mode, when you release shutter button, does the flash fire?

Using a sync cord connected to a V6 (set to TX) will work too. 

Keep us posted. Thank you.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • I have another question is the cactus rf60x going to be a stronger flashed in my current Nikon sb-80dx?
  • I have another question is the cactus rf60x going to be a stronger flashed in my current Nikon sb-80dx?
    They should both have pretty much the same maximum power level.
  • Not sure about the SB-80DX, but during a local workshop, the RF60 was a tad stronger (light output) than a Nikon SB-9000, not by a whole lot.  

But the flash itself is "stronger" than an SB-80DX, in terms of functionality. The RF60X is an off-camera flash that supports TTL and HSS on using these camera systems; Canon (availability TBC), Fujifilm, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax, Sigma, and Sony. And because it has built-in radio, you do not need to mount the flash on a separate Receiver unit. So you could change and charge less 2 AA batteries. :)

Cheers!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.013", "NIK.A.001", "v.103", or "A06".

TTL or HSS not working on Cactus V6 II and V6 IIs? Be sure to check hot shoe connectivity by doing the <CAMERA INFO> check.

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Thank you for your response I don't own a Nikon Olympus nothing I own a bronica gs-1 it's an old film camera that I'll be using it on.
  • One more thing, the SB-80DX does not support TTL HSS. Meaning when you are shooting above camera's x-sync speed, you don't get automatic TTL exposure. 

This, on the hand, the RF60X does support. 

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Thank you for your answer Antonio. Thank you Antonio so what I'm thinking of doing is buying two cactus rf60x and controlling them with the cactus V6 II on my bronica gs-1 film camera. Before I make the purchase I would like you to confirm to me that I will be able with this setup to control the power and zoom with the listed set up above?
  • Yes, despite the bronica gs-1 is not a supported camera system on the V6 II, you will still be able to remotely control the power output and zoom of a RF60X.

The V6 II will see the camera as "OTHERS", utilizing only the center hot shoe contact pin / sync port.

As to firmware version, you may use the factory installed Multi-brand HSS firmware on the V6 II, that is, version 1.1.013. And for the RF60X, version 103 or the latest 104. 

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Thank you Antonio, sounds great.
  • Anytime! 

Just shout if you need anything else.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Antonio you're a great I really appreciate your help I've asked you five thousand questions I have one more.

Let me make sure I understand you I can take a V6 2 put it on my Veronica gs1 put a V6 on my Nikon SB 80dx and be able to control the power and the zoom?

Here's the part I'm not understanding when you teach the flash or the flash learns the V2 is not compatible with my flash I see I'm going to use that as the trigger my V6 is compatible and has learned the Nikon sb-80dx but it never learn to control the zoom so I don't understand how this combinations going to work.
  • So I guess my question is if I put the flash the Nikon SB 80 dX on my Cactus V6. Then I take a cactus V6 II and I put that on my camera you're telling me I should be able to control the power and the zoom is this correct?
  • Zoom control is only compatible on V6 II (TX) > V6 II (RX). 

V6 II (TX) > V6 (RX): only remote power control, no zoom control. V6 MK 1 does not support zoom control.

TX: transmitter
    RX: receiver

Hope this helps.

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Correct that's what I thought the cactus V6 II is not compatible with the Nikon sb-80dx only the cactus V6 is compatible with the Nikon sb-80dx.
  • After doing some research the Nikon sb-80dx is a digital protocol Flash I spoke with Nikon technical service on the phone today and they told me it is not an analog protocol flash it is in fact a digital Flash so I'm thinking this thing should work on the cactus V6 II.
  • Yes, you've got it now.

Thanks!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

• Others who is interested in the Nikon SB-80DX, please also see OP's other post:

Thanks!

Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager