Problems with Fujifilm XT2 and EF-X500Flash

So, I have just received two V6 II units to use with my Fujifilm XT2 body and EX-F500 flash along with a Canon 430EX III speedlite. I've tried and tested everything I can think of but I cannot get the system to work. 

Before I begin I should add that I have removed the spring on the hotshoe.

1. The EX-F500 works fine on the XT2 body without the V6 II
2. I am not using, or even expecting to use, HSS
3. The V6 II on a Canon body with a Canon speedlite works fine using passthrough.
4. I have updated the firmware on both Cactus units and the XT2 body.

So, if I follow the instructions and attach the V6 II to my XT2 with the EX-F500 flash it does detect both the flash and the body correctly. If I set the shutter speed to 1/125, ISO to 400, turn on TTL passthrough, and take a picture with the flash on TTL mode the flash does fire but it always fires at the same power regardless of the aperture setting. I've tried this with both of my V6 II units and they are both the same.

If I then connect the second V6 II to a Canon speedlite as a remote flash, setting the V6 II to RX,  it does detect the Canon flash correctly and it does fire, but it is always on full power. If I turn the dial on my camera-mounted V6 II to adjust the power from 1/1 to 1/128 the display on the remote V6 II does adjust, but the power output remains the same regardless.

As you can see, I am having a lot of problems! I want to use one V6 II on my XT2 body with the EF-X500 flash set to pass through so I can use TTL (not requiring HSS). I then want that to trigger a remote Canon flash with a second V6 II. As I say, both the on-camera flash and the remote flash do fire but the power is always the same.

Comments

• Hello @trevorwilson

Sorry to hear about the on-camera TTL problem with the Fujifilm EF-X500.

The reason is due to the different hot shoe specification on this new EF-X500 flash, that is, from its predecessors, such as the EF-42.

I used an electronic ruler and did measuremnts on both the EF-42 and the EF-X500 and guess what I discover?

[Note: I am not a mechanical engineer so the measurement is done and perceived as a laymen only]

The overall length of the hot shoe plate on the EF-X500 has been shorten by approximately 0.5mm, when compared with the EF-42.

Secondly, if you notice as you lock the hot shoe lever on the EF-X500 it actually pulls the contact pins forward. And at the fully locked position, the distance from the centre pin to the front lip of the hot shoe plate is about 8mm, which is another 0.5mm shorter than the EF-42.

So in total, the hot shoe pins on EF-X500 is actually sitting at least 1.0mm forward on the V6 II. This made the pins not lining up, except for the centre pin, which has the bigger contact area.

Keep in mind that the V6 II was designed to fit multiple flash systems, so the alignment may not be perfect for some flash models. In the case of the EF-X500, we will try and find a solution as a running change.

But for your immediate use, you will have to create a small piece of spacer, similar to the trick used on the Nikon D750 - 2-3 layers of masking tape, but a lot thicker for the EF-X500.

I quick did one by cutting a paper strip from normal copier paper, around 1cm in width so you can easily slide into V6 II's top hot shoe opening, fold it into 11 faces, slide it into V6 II RX as I mount the EF-X500, and the extra space was just right. I could get the V6 II RX to auto-detect the flash.

72963d7015254b20889a9587dbae9f.png

This could be a little fiddly but it works for now. In the long run, maybe a new top hot shoe. But for most existing customers, maybe we need to look into making an adhesive that could attach more easily to the top of the transciver.  Do shout if you have other ideas.

Thank you.
    Fujifilm EF-X500 DIY Spacer.PNG
    605 x 457 - 382K
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.012", "FUJ.1.002", "v1.02".

Cactus RF60 is now an off-camera TTL flash with firmware v2.05!

Metz M400 (for Fujifilm) is now supported on the Cactus V6 II (HSS and TTL).

Nikon D750 users please read this thread: 

Fujifilm EF-X500 users please read this thread:

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager

To help us better help you, always state the exact firmware version installed on your Cactus device(s), such as: "1.1.012", "FUJ.1.002", "v1.02".

Feel free to suggest an improvement or share product ideas. Contact us directly at info@cactus-image.com.  At Cactus, we listen. 
  • I have the EF X500 flash and it stopped working last night. I thought the batteries had drained. I put new ones in today but no sign of life from the flash. I did turn on and off the dial and tried to play with other buttons on the back.
  • The flash does not show any life BEFORE I attach it to the camera. After the batteries have been installed there is no sign of life in the flash. Shouldn't the back of the LCD light up when the power is turned on even if it is not attached to the camera?? Firmware was the original that came when I bought the flash. i cannot update that because there is no power in the flash.

Thanks
  • Sorry to hear about this @ProfJoe, but sounds like you have a lemon.

This happened to us during the first week we got the flash.  We quickly went to the dealer and got a replacement.

You should contact FUJIFILM right away and get it sorted.

FYI I heard from quite a number of EF-X500 owners that it is not really reliable. Or it could be with certain product batches.  Good luck!
    Antonio Lao
    Brand Manager